What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Managing files in GoodReader app

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I am a very experienced PC user, I am a relatively new iPad user. I have managed to overcome most problems which arose, but there is one that I have not been able to resolve.

In my PCs, I do all kinds of file management activities, including moving files around on my computers, most of which each have 3 several hard drives on them.
When I read the good words about GoodReader, I felt that it would be an excellent app to use in my iPad 2, so I purchased and installed it.

Copying in files from my PC, via USB, into Good Reader worked very well. And the USB connection did the job quite quickly. I plan to copy a large number of Photoshop video tutorials into my iPad, and since they are all in MOV or MP4 format, I will not have to convert any of them first.

I set up a folder named "MOVIES" in the Document window of Good Reader, and this is where I would like to store those files on my iPad. I did not see the path to copying them directly into that MOVIE folder, so I just dragged them into the Documents window. Now, these files are in the root of that structure, along with several other folders, including my MOVIE folder.

I want to move them into the MOVIE folder, but I have not been able to find the path to do that. I've clicked on "Manage Files", and the "move" icon, but I cannot find the right combo of steps to move the files. I've read over lots of the printed instructions et al for Good Reader, but none of them give me the answer.

I tried selecting and dragging - did not work. This process is probably a simple one, but it escapes me. In Windows, it is a very simple process. And it certainly must be here also.

Can someone please brief me on the exact steps to move files around in GoodReader. And, can I do file transfers directly into the final desired folder, or must I first drag them into the Document window, and then move them accordingly?

And, is there a document anywhere that details doing all the usual file mangement activities in GoodReader? Since this simple task has given me so much trouble, possibly some of the other "simple" tasks" will also.

Thanks -

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To move files in GoodReader, navigate to the folder they are in, then select Manage Files, select the files and/or folders you want to move, select Move,

GRMoveFiles_1.jpg

select the folder you want them in, then tap the Move # Files Here button.

GRMoveFiles_2.jpg

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. The steps are certainly logical, and I will follow them to do my moving. It's too bad the the instructions that came with GoodReader did not present that info as clearly as you did.

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I very carefully went through the steps you noted. And I see the window with the "Move # Files Here". But when I tap on the folder "Movies" in the main Documents window to select the destination folder, the window that showed the "Move # Files Here" text string now changes, and that text string is no longer there, so I cannot tap on it.

This was the problem that I was having before I posted my original message here.

So what am I doing wrong?

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One further question if I may. To avoid having to move files when after are transferred via GoodReader, can they be put directly into their destination folder when they are transferred, to simplify the process?

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Discovered my error

OK, all is now well. I discovered what I was doing wrong. When I went to tap on the new location for files/folders, I was selecting that in the main document window, as opposed to the smaller window at the lower right where the selected files were displayed. I realized that I had to scroll back in that window to display the target destination folder, which I did, and then the move process proceeded properly.

But I still would like to know if I can drag files from my PC directly into the final destination folder. Or, must I drag into the main document window for GoodReader on my iTunes window on my PC, and then move them after copying them to Good Reader.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Edit: I was wrong. The following method will not let you place files in a subdirectory on GoodReader.

. . .But I still would like to know if I can drag files from my PC directly into the final destination folder. Or, must I drag into the main document window for GoodReader on my iTunes window on my PC, and then move them after copying them to Good Reader.

If you are using the iTunes File Sharing feature to copy the files, all you need to do is open the folder you want the files copied to before adding them.

FileSharingGoodReader.jpg

If you are using some other USB method to copy the files you will have to give me a more detailed description of what you are doing. I rarely use USB to copy files to GoodReader, and File Sharing is the only one I'm familiar with.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been copying files from my PC using the GoodReader approach in iTunes.

With GoodReader open on my PC iTunes screen, I select the files from my PC folders, and drag them into the GoodReader Document window which is displayed on my PC. That window displays all the items in the GoodReader document main folder.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oops. I just assumed that the folders would open if I double clicked on them. No go.

There are wireless and cloud methods to transfer files to specific directories, but if you want to use USB this is the only other option I know of is GoodReaderUSB (not by the same company)

I have not heard anything about them recently, so I'm not 100% sure it still works.

Last edited:

Poita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Merging pdf files in Good reader

Hi.
I have some one page pdf files that I want to have as one pdf. I tried a site called PDFJoin! - Join PDF files online for free. but the downloader in Chrome says the file could be malicious. I did it and downloaded it but I don't like that the finished pdf looks different than a regular pdf even though it works.

I have Goodreader on my iPad 2. Is there a way I can use it to merge individual pdf files into one file?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Poita said:
Hi.
I have some one page pdf files that I want to have as one pdf. I tried a site called PDFJoin! - Join PDF files online for free. but the downloader in Chrome says the file could be malicious. I did it and downloaded it but I don't like that the finished pdf looks different than a regular pdf even though it works.

I have Goodreader on my iPad 2. Is there a way I can use it to merge individual pdf files into one file?

GoodReader does not have any features that will let you do this.

PDF Expert will let you copy pages between PDFs. Since you can select and copy all pages this allows you to join files, if a bit indirectly. After you've pasted the pages you can drag them around to reorder and delete the the ones you don't want.

All this is done in the thumbnail view, in edit mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts