1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Malware Protection?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Heaviside, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I have unfortunately had to leave the Mac world many years ago and join the Dark Side. Therefore, I am not current on Apple-think.

Do I need malware protection on my iPad? If so, what do you recommend?
  2. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This is a never-ending issue on computers, and one that really comes down to paying attention to where you go and reading, yes reading, pop-up windows if/when they occur. There is NO single solution when it comes to virus/malware/spyware, but with the right combination and forced vigilance, you can keep your PC clean.

I use, and have been using, AVG-Free for the last 3 years and put it on my parent's computers last year. I have not had an issue with viruses or malware in that time. AVG has the smallest footprint with regards to memory/cpu over the average. I also run Windows Defender with decent success. It picks up some of the stuff that gets through AVG.

IF something gets on your PC or you didnt read or just clicked through something, Ad-aware, SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes will get 99% of what comes down. With those, you do NOT have to keep them installed and running. You can install, update, clean and then uninstall them.

The best malware and spyware and virus protection you have is just reading. Keep in mind, NO internet website can do full scans of your PC. If one says it did - run away. Hit ALT-F4 to close the window - do not click anywhere in the window.
  3. Heaviside

Heaviside iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Deckyon,

Thanks a lot for your response. I agree with everything you say, even down to using AVG---which I think is great for my pc. But what about the iPad?
  4. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    AVG is free shareware with limited capabilities. Norton 360 is the ultimate , having said that I do not use pc and have never had an issue running my Mac pro(s) and the IMac.
    I have not seen an anti virus for the iPad.
    Use common practice by not opening attachments and only visiting trusted sites
  5. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Your iPad is protected by the app store and the way the file system was built so in short no...just enjoy your iPad!