What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making and receiving phone calls with ipad 3G

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the iPad 3G receive phone calls just like a regular phone? If it can, then I am thinking about getting rid of my phone and just use the iPad for calling and text. I barely use the phone/voice service, maybe 10 calls a week just about.

2 major questions:

I know that I am able to make calls using skype and similiar apps. How is the voice quality with verizon/AT&T 3G service? Do you think it's good enough to replace my phone?

If someone calls me, will my ipad ring or get a push notification?

Please give me some advice.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this application on the App Store:

iSWiFTER
YouWeb L.L.C.
Category: Games
Updated: Mar 10, 2011
478 Ratings

iTunes for Mac and Windows
Please note that you have not been added to any email lists.
Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the iPad 3G receive phone calls just like a regular phone? If it can, then I am thinking about getting rid of my phone and just use the iPad for calling and text. I barely use the phone/voice service, maybe 10 calls a week just about.

2 major questions:

I know that I am able to make calls using and similiar apps. How is the voice quality with verizon/AT&T 3G service? Do you think it's good enough to replace my phone?

The iPad cannot make or receive calls or text messages *directly* like, for example, an iPhone can. Yes, by using Skype or other VOIP apps you are able to make calls indirectly, but that’s all. If you send a text message or try to ’phone the mobile number associated with your 3G SIM card in the iPad, that text or call will not be successful.

If you try to switch to Skype, making calls would be fine, but receiving calls might prove problematic as reports from Skype users seem to suggest that you’d need to keep your iPad switched on at all times - i.e. calls would not be successfully received if your iPad was in ‘sleep’ mode.

I think most users have come to accept that the iPad is not a viable alternative to their iPhone.

Tim
Scotland

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ajooba1982 said:

2 major questions:

I know that I am able to make calls using skype and similiar apps. How is the voice quality with verizon/AT&T 3G service? Do you think it's good enough to replace my phone?

I've called my ipad before with the number I.picked.from.my textfree with voice app by comapany "Pinger" they give u 10 mins call time but not sure how to get more.mins, either u buy more.mins or earn then sometimes, I text alot with u but hadent really looked into the calling thing much, just used about 8 mins of the 10 that came with it calling friends and playing

SWAGGER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(talkatone + google voice)..........I have tried several other phone apps for ipad and this one works the best. Even if your ipad is asleep, talkatone will "push" an incoming call.

I have considered dropping my phone carrier to use ipad exclusively but my only problem is that the ipad does not support bluetooth headset for communication purposes. If it did I would test it for a month and then make the switch if I was satisfied because i take the ipad with me almost everywhere. But without bluetooth capabilities its a bit impracticle for me....on the flip side a handsfree headset will work with the ipad as long as you dont mind having to plug it in every time you make a call if you dont want speakerphone

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SWAGGER said:
(talkatone + google voice)..........I have tried several other phone apps for ipad and this one works the best. Even if your ipad is asleep, talkatone will "push" an incoming call.

I have considered dropping my phone carrier to use ipad exclusively but my only problem is that the ipad does not support bluetooth headset for communication purposes. If it did I would test it for a month and then make the switch if I was satisfied because i take the ipad with me almost everywhere. But without bluetooth capabilities its a bit impracticle for me....on the flip side a handsfree headset will work with the ipad as long as you dont mind having to plug it in every time you make a call if you dont want speakerphone

Thanx for your response.

Most reactions