Make space for upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Alexandra40, May 13, 2015.

1. Alexandra40

Alexandra40
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I decided upgrade my iPad, but there is not enough space, so I have to delete/move some items.
    Now I noticed that my iBooks is relatively large. It would help a lot if I could move these files (pdfs not purchased books) to the cloud. The same goes for my 'Documents' folder.

My alternate option is to mail all files and to myself, but that is a bit time consuming. I am sure there must be a better way.

I also have some games (purchased an free)that take a lot of space, but I'm not ready to get rid of them.

Any Suggestions?
    Thanks

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you do the upgrade through iTunes you will not have to free up nearly as much storage space as you do when upgrading OTA.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Alexandra.. - welcome to the forum! :) You may want to tell us which model iPad you own - assume iPad 2 from the forum posted (and its capacity in GB and how much is 'free'), what the current iOS version is installed, what you want to upgrade to?

Also, do you have an iTunes and/or iCloud backup of your iPad? As Scifan.. has stated, a cabled connection to a computer using iTunes will only need about half or less the storage vs. using and OTA (over the air) upgrade, which requires about 5 GB of free storage if going to iOS 8.x - hence the reasons for my questions to you.

Just a few more suggestions, the PDFs and purchased books can be removed from your device and then re-downloaded as needed; the same is true for some of your other files/data - but please give us some more information about your iPad so we might be more specific in our recommendations? Dave

4. Alexandra40

Alexandra40
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

5. Alexandra40

Alexandra40
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for adressing my question.
    I own an iPad2. 16Gb. Running still on 6.x and wouldnt change it ifit werent for some usefful apps that require iOS7+. Upgrading to the latest iOS8....
    Free space 1.5Gb, need to free up 3.2Gb.
    I have iCloud backup but no iTunes.

Please can you tell me how to transfer the pdfs etc? (or transfer me to a website with the answers). Never used iTunes. Thought I didn need it :).

Hope this gives you some what more of an idea of the situation.

Thanks!

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With a firmware upgrade as large as the one from iOS 6 to iOS 8, it's recommended that you do the upgrade through iTunes on your computer. Backup your iPad and use the restore button. This will erase your iPad and update it to the latest iOS version, iOS 8.3. Once restored, you'll be given the choice of setting it up as a new iPad or using the backup you made. Select the backup option and everything that was on your iPad before the restore will be installed.

Here's the Apple page about it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

7. Alexandra40

Alexandra40
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi

8. Alexandra40

Alexandra40
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Thank you. this seems like something I will have to do in the weekend.
    Will give it a try and come back woth the results.
    so, I can backuo the entire ipad content on iTunes?

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, your backup will contain everything. The restored iPad, set up with the backup you make will have all the content and data, including app data, that was on the iPad at the time the backup was made.

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's a list of items not included in an iTunes backup:
    • Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks
    • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
    • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
    • Touch ID settings
    • Apple Pay information and settings
    • Health and Keychain data
    (Apple Support)

As you'll notice, the backup won't contain the PDF files in iBooks. Here's a way to get them to your computer:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267