What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major back light leak on my new iPad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd return any device with the kind of leakage shown in OP's photo.

And I say that as someone who's not returned three iPads with less significant light leaks, yellow tint and a couple of dead pixels.

samd724

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on my second "new" iPad. Both had screen leakage. My current iPad is a lot worse than the first one I had. I have an appointment at apple tonight after work. I will hopefully receive a replacement that has no defects. I will let you guys know the outcome.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm on my second "new" iPad. Both had screen leakage. My current iPad is a lot worse than the first one I had. I have an appointment at apple tonight after work. I will hopefully receive a replacement that has no defects. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Personally, I would only return for bleed if it were to ruin the movie viewing experience or photos. Lots of time, if you have an image on the screen you can't even see the bleed. You always risk getting a new unit with some other slight defect...it can become an endless roller coaster.

samd724

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I should have kept my first one, but this one does obscure images and video due to excessive light leakage.

samd724

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got back from the apple store.... Very happy with my replacement!!!!

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lyndon23 said:
don't you just hate it when you look under a skirt to check if a girl has shaved all of her legs and you notice that she's got a bad dose of light leak and dead pixels! I mean, you wouldn't want to take that kind of girl home to meet your mother would you? :d

lmao!

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lunar said:
I would regard the fact you can visibly see actual light under the edge of the screen as not being acceptable, and am very surprised it's not affecting the display. I would be requesting a replacement. You shouldn't see any actual visible light at all under the edge, minor light bleed is when it changes the black or a uniform dark grey around the edge into a slightly lighter colour, as your'll never get a true black of course.. at least, not with backlit LCD panels.

Minor light bleed to me is when a certain spot round the edge on a black screen in a dark room is making one or a couple of tiny area's along the sides appear slightly lighter in that area. As long as it's just a tiny amount thats not easily seen, it wouldn't concern me too much as it's very unlikely to ever be visible in normal use. Anything more however, and it should be replaced, and like other's have stated, bad pixels are definately a big no,no for me too, and seeing actual light shining as in the picture under one of the edges would also be a big no no.

I agree 100%

RobHall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well mine is going back and they are happy to refund my money as they are unable to replace as they have discontinued their stock of the new iPad? Strange reply but will get a refund and purchase elsewhere when new stock arrives, hopefully soon!!

scaramonga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I knew I was gonna get one after reading this thread, and sure enough, mine has the same at top of screen, only about an inch, but I'm off the the Apple shop on Sunday for a replacement. 2 hour drive for me also, so a pain in the ass really. I'll make sure replacement is fine in store before accepting it. :(

L

Lunar

Well, I knew I was gonna get one after reading this thread, and sure enough, mine has the same at top of screen, only about an inch, but I'm off the the Apple shop on Sunday for a replacement. 2 hour drive for me also, so a pain in the ass really. I'll make sure replacement is fine in store before accepting it. :(

Only snag when checking for light bleed in the Apple store is they tend to be quite brightly lit, so you need to cover it with your jacket over your head or something...lol to reduce the light, otherwise your'll never really see it unless it's a really bad one. I had a couple of slightly sarcastic but humorous comments when I did exactly that in the Birminham, Uk, Apple store, when I returned my 1st iPad3 due to small dust particles behind the screen. I looked quite carefully both for bad pixels and lightbleed around the edges and could'nt see any.

Yet later, after returning home I did notice just a tiny bit of light bleed in 2 small tiny locations on left edge, nothing significant, just a slight lightening in a tiny area at the edge making it about 1 tone lighter grey, it fairness it is very small indeed and barely detectable, and unless you view it in a very darkened room and look carefully you would'nt spot it, it's certainly not visible at all in normal use, so this one is a keeper for me. I shall give it one last check over on the 3rd April as that's when the 2 weeks expires on this one (the 2 weeks starts over again from date of new replacement) just 2 make sure no bad pixels have popped up, (visible bad pixels are a big no for me) though generally if you can get through the first few days without any showing it's rare for them to go faulty later, though they can of course occur anytime.

Best of luck, hope your next one is a keeper too.

Last edited by a moderator:

scaramonga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best of luck, hope your next one is a keeper too.

Thx for the great tips buddy, they came in handy today :)

No problems whatsoever, gotta love Apple Customer Service :) Girl at Genius Bar said it was totally unacceptable, although I still kinda felt embarrassed at complaining about an 'inch' of light lol, but she agreed, and said I was the third customer in today with same problem, and that I was right to do so :) I did say that I want to check the screen for this problem in store and she said that was OK, but that it will be noted that I had done so, fair enough, and all seems well in that regards. Not had the time since I got back to fully check it over for any other faults, but here's hoping lol ;)

Bottom line. Your spending big money, and if not totally happy with your purchase, return for a refund or replacement.

Thank you Lunar, my coat came in very handy today :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts