What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mailbox’s

M

moparherb

Im trying to set up a new folder in my mail app. I’m using the mail program that comes with my iPad Air2. Whenever I try to add a mailbox I get the message instantly that mailbox cannot be added to server. All I really want is another folder to put important emails in for future reference.

OP
M

moparherb

I don’t know much about email accounts, but this is an email address I have had for years, initially thru my work. Under accounts I see my main email address with a couple of folders...trash,sent,etc. that is where I would like another folder. Now under my iCloud account I see about the same folders but "archive" is also there. I do not want the e-mails to be sorted on receipt or anything like that. I would just like to take an important email and put it in a separate folder for later reference. It probably would help if I knew more about how email works with iOS but I don’t. Thanks for any help....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that doesn’t depend on the iPad or the Mail app, but on the account. I’ve tried adding a new Mailbox in Outlook, iCloud and my ISP account, and didn’t have any problems.

Usually, the part of your email address behind the @ shows which account you’re using. @outlook..., or hotmail..., or live... are connected to Windows. @icloud..., me... and mac... are from Apple. @gmail is from Google, and yahoo... is a Yahoo account.

Is the account where you’re trying to set up the mailbox one of these, or a different one?
Also, is it set up as POP or IMAP account? To find this out, go to Settings - Accounts & Passwords and take a look at the account.

OP
M

moparherb

OK after the@ is dreamscape.com. Under accounts and password it says it’s "SMTP" and uses “mail.dreamscape.com”.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SMTP is the outgoing mail server, and it’s the same for IMAP and POP accounts.

I’ve searched for dreamscape. This seems to be a POP account. It’s not possible to add a mailbox to those. That’s why this message appears when you try setting it up.

OP
M

moparherb

J.A. Thank you so much for your time on this matter. Could I take the important emails that I want to save and put them in the folder under my iCloud account “archives” and save them there?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
J.A. Thank you so much for your time on this matter. Could I take the important emails that I want to save and put them in the folder under my iCloud account “archives” and save them there?

It is possible to move emals between accounts. At least it has been in my tests.

Select the folder icon when viewing the email and choose Other Mailbox. You’ll see a list of folders to the left.
If you don’t see the folders for the iCloud account then tap the sidebar icon at the top left. Now you should see a list of all your email accounts, and all their folders. You may have to tap on the account itself to reveal it’s folders.
Tap on the folder you want the email to be transfered to.

It may take a while for the email to show up in the new folder. It has to go back out through your internet connection and back to the new email account.

You can also use the Swipe method in the email list to quickly move, mark, or delete emails.

But your best bet is to check with your email provider’s support and see if they offer IMAP as an option. Or move your main account to a provider who does. POP is pretty limited, and has all kind of issues if you access it with more than one computer or device.

065E9AF5-E57C-46E3-B82E-2A096A575A65.jpeg

856D90B7-1636-44A7-87F3-AC45F5B1D80F.jpeg

820F4B54-F75D-47E6-96E2-DC658EE746CC.jpeg

OP
M

moparherb

Well it looks like I can transfer emails from my main email inbox to the iCloud where I have set up a new folder and as “twerppoet” said it takes a little while to get there but should solve my issue of trying to save some important emails. Thanks everyone for all the help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well it looks like I can transfer emails from my main email inbox to the iCloud where I have set up a new folder and as “twerppoet” said it takes a little while to get there but should solve my issue of trying to save some important emails. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Another way to save important emails, especially if you’d rather they not be emails, is to print them to PDF.

To do this, choose the Print option in Mail (it is under the same icon as the reply).
When you see the print dialog, pinch out on the preview to expand it to full screen.
In the top right corner you’ll see the usual share icon.
Anything you share from here will be saved in the target app as a PDF; that would incllude the Notes app.

If you have iOS 11, you can share directly to the Files app, which would let you save the PDF in a folder in iCloud, or in another app that stores files in iCloud (like Documents by Readdle, my favorite place to save files).

The main advantage of doing things this way is that the resulting files are not locked into the Mail app. You can view, print, or save them pretty much anywhere.

I do this for emails like important receipts, warantees, or other emails with information I want saved independent of my email client.

B83A17BA-22F5-4FC2-A643-583F9F43AF8C.jpeg

OP
M

moparherb

Another way to save important emails, especially if you’d rather they not be emails, is to print them to PDF.

To do this, choose the Print option in Mail (it is under the same icon as the reply).
When you see the print dialog, pinch out on the preview to expand it to full screen.
In the top right corner you’ll see the usual share icon.
Anything you share from here will be saved in the target app as a PDF; that would incllude the Notes app.

If you have iOS 11, you can share directly to the Files app, which would let you save the PDF in a folder in iCloud, or in another app that stores files in iCloud (like Documents by Readdle, my favorite place to save files).

The main advantage of doing things this way is that the resulting files are not locked into the Mail app. You can view, print, or save them pretty much anywhere.

I do this for emails like important receipts, warantees, or other emails with information I want saved independent of my email client.

View attachment 80387

OP
M

moparherb

Twerppoet your a genius. That is a great idea and it works perfectly. Thank you very much.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You’re welcome.

The print to PDF trick has been around since iOS 10, but the updates to Notes and the new Files app makes it much more useful

Most reactions