What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail usage

grkehler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I check my apps usage on my ipad 2, my mail usage is always over 1 GB. Right now it is at 1.2GB. I have a Verizon mail account and a iCloud mail account. I don't use the iCloud account at all and I keep my Verizon account maintained (trashing old emails etc.). Is this normal or is something not right?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Verizon email accounts are usually POP accounts. This means that instead of syncing a limited number of recent emails in each folder, everything is stored on the iPad. Your Sent, Trash, Archive, and Drafts folder will not automatically clear themselves.

Or if they do clear themselves (I'm not 100% sure on this subject), it may not be quickly enough for your purposes. Especially if you deal with a lot of attachments.

Tap the MailBox button at the top left of the Mail app. Instead of selecting your Inbox from the top of the account list, go down to where the individual accounts are listed, select it and then your various folders, and start cleaning out your older emails. Especially those with attachments.

The Trash folder should offer and Edit, and then Delete All option at the bottom of the listing. I'm not sure about the Sent folder.

Your iCloud account can also be cleaned up this way, but it is less vital. Mail will keep a limited number of emails locally in the iCloud account, downloading older emails only when requested. Most IMAP accounts will behave that way.

Personally, I don't recommend using Verizon or any other ISP as your primary email account. You never know when you might end up switching providers, and then all your email, and online accounts that use that email, will have to be changed.

It is better to choose an email provider that is tied to no other service; provided it's likely to stick around.

Most reactions

Latest posts