What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail Problems Cannot Verify Server Message

SDFun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Until a few weeks ago mail worked fine. Now everytime i send mail or whenever the Ipad goes to get mail I get 2 to 3 Cannot Verify Server messages. It says my server is not trusted. It is. It is recognized as trusted on all my non- Apple platforms. It is almost impossible to use mail and the message comes up in the middle of anything I am doing when the Ipad checks mail. With other OS's if the server is "not Trusted:" you accept once and it remebers. Is thier a work around? This is new, I read some where it started with OS 4.2.1.
HELP!!!!!!!!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
hold the power button down on the iPad until it shows the slider to shut off the iPad. once it shuts down, hold the power button down again until it boots back up.

Double check you are using the correct protocol (IMAP, POP, Exchange) for the server.

OP
S

SDFun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but I have tried that. Also it happens on my husbands Ipad also. We are both using mail though my domian. It started with Os 4.2.1

OP
S

SDFun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mail problem on more than 1 ipad

Yes, I have tried deleting the mail account. I have tried adding other email accounts with the same server , same problem. My husband has the same problem on his IPad. I spoke with my web-mail hosting company. They have a certifcate and are trusted. They say this is an Apple OS problem becasue it is the only place they are hearing about the problem.
thanks for the suggestions.
I am wondering if other people that host thier own web site and email at places like Go Daddy and ipower are having this problem,

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Try to get a new certificate. It is more than likely a setting or setup that the host does not have enabled that is messing up - the services were in place long before the iPad was on the market, and many places are still adjusting. The company I have my exchange server with had to patch the server to allow full access for iPads.

The one thing about email and email services, you can set it up to look like it is coming from anywhere no matter what service you use. I forward my email from my company and my other business through Gmail (nice spam filters) to my Exchange server.

You dont ever have full control on the services from places like godady. I use 1and1 (and have for years now) and it took some tweaking of the domains and forwards before I had it set up exactly how I wanted it with the Exchange service. Now that it is done, I can go anywhere in the world, on any device or machine, and my mail, calendar and contacts all stay sync'd. This is nice, with as often as I change phones.

I have also set up others' email and calendars so they stay synced on their devices, but it was in person and with full access to their accounts at the time. Doing something like that is too iffy without doing it in person. I have done this with 5 different iPads and lost count on the iPhones, blackberries and PCs now.

OP
S

SDFun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
question about workaround

I was considering fowarding though Gmail but I really want my return mail address to be my business email nancy@....... is thier a way on the Ipad to specify the return address.

I will also coall back my provider. they were pretty adament that it was an apple problem not thiers and i sort of agreed since it just started this month

Thanks

OP
S

SDFun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to the apple store today and you can turn SSL off. In mail settings clink on your account and then advanced. You must also change it the outgoing SMPT server. You need to know the port for your domain server to make this work

spiderling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having somewhat of a similar problem.

I am trying to add an account for a domain that has a SSL of its own. When I am setting up the account I enter thedomainname.com as the incoming and outgoing imap host names. When I click Next, I get the Cannot Verify Server Identity message stating "MobileMail can't verify the identity of thedomainname.com. Would you like to continue anyway?"

I then click Details and the certificate details are for the hosting server name, ie: vps.thehostdomainname.com. Should it not be using / connecting through the SSL for thedomainname.com? It doesn't make any sense to use the self-signed server SSL when the domain has a SSL of its own.

Thanks

Last edited:

PaulSBodine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot Verify Server ID -- iPad is frozen

I get the message "Cannot Verify Server Identity. Wi-Fi can't verify the identity of '1.1.1.1'. Would you like to continue anyway?" It then gives me the choices "Cancel," "Details," and "Continue." But when I press any one of these nothing happens. I can't get rid of the screen. The slider doesn't work and using the iPad power off button doesn't resolve the issue.

The problem first arose after I went through the X-ray machine at an airport. At the time, I did not have the Airplane wireless off function activated, if that makes a difference. I am now at my destination (I am overseas) but the problem persists so it is not location-specific. Please help. Are there are any workarounds or so I have to take it to an Apple store?

jpenney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frozen IPhone

This would be off topic except that the symptom is exactly the same for my iPhone. Powering off worked for me. I had to set up m y mail server again after I powered off.

rjz447

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem - I can't get the "Cannot Verify Server Identity" message to go away and I can't reset. Did anyone have a solution to this?

madhatter72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem. it does this "cannot verify server" thing about once a month, but this is the first time it has completely frozen my ipad2. it says "exchange cannot verify the identity of m.google.com". i have no idea what m.google.com is. Do I have to go to the store? I cant reset it or do anything. how do you "get a new certificate?" from whom? i have exchange, earthlink, and gmail. Exchange is through gmail.
and i haven't gone through any metal detectors.

dale365

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem, although on my ipod touch, not ipad, i got an error message saying the server couldn't be verified when i tried logging on to facebook...now here's what I tried...i went to date and time settings, and adjusted my ipod touch to the right time and time zone (my time wasn't adjusted earlier) as well as the right date, then i went back to the safari browser and tried logging in to facebook and BAM! it worked! no error message. Just to backcheck, i set the wrong time and date once again, and when i tried logging on to facebook, the error message appeared again...so needless to say, my problem lied with the date and time settings...i don't get an error message anymore...

SaskiaTh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad frozen

I get the message "Cannot Verify Server Identity. Wi-Fi can't verify the identity of '1.1.1.1'. Would you like to continue anyway?" It then gives me the choices "Cancel," "Details," and "Continue." But when I press any one of these nothing happens. I can't get rid of the screen. The slider doesn't work and using the iPad power off button doesn't resolve the issue.

The problem first arose after I went through the X-ray machine at an airport. At the time, I did not have the Airplane wireless off function activated, if that makes a difference. I am now at my destination (I am overseas) but the problem persists so it is not location-specific. Please help. Are there are any workarounds or so I have to take it to an Apple store?

I have exactly the same problem and cannot find a solution. I have tried pressing the on/off button, but since there is no reset possibility in the hardware, I am out of options. Who can help?
I have the idea the problem already occurred before I went through the X-ray machine at the airport (also forgot to turn the Airport function on), but I am not sure of that. Help! My iPod is quite useless now!

Most reactions

Latest posts