What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail problem

lhamilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iPad mini and iPad 4 running 7.1.2 and as of this morning neither can update nor send my Yahoo mail using the ipad mail app.

The Yahoo mail app works ok.

When ii try to send mail from the ipad mail app th has always worked befor, on both machines I get the message -- "Cannot send mail. The connection to the apple.smtp.mail.yahoo.com failed".

When I tried deleting and reinstalling that mail account on one iPad I couldn't put in the smtp.mail.yahoo.com address for outgoing mail since the iPad comes back saying that it can't set up smtp for that account. Nevertheless my Yahoo iPad app still continues to work on that iPad.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks.

Linda

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are problems with Yahoo mail in general, users are experiencing outages the last few days, especially the last 12 hours, with many of them being unable to login, send or receive emails. If possible, use the Yahoo Mail app for the account for the time being.

For the Mail app -
Here's a link to check your settings for the Mail app: https://www.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/

If these are right, and you still get the message, there's nothing else you can do but wait until Yahoo solves the problem.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're definitely not the only one with issues.

Glad to help. :)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I checked my yahoo mail account. I had no trouble accessing my account via the iPad email app. Maybe the problems are regional in nature?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible. I used a website to check the status, and there were many reports and complaints, also from Canada.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Possible. I used a website to check the status, and there were many reports and complaints, also from Canada.

@ Linda - I've used Yahoo mail for years and have to agree w/ Johanna - it is often a PITA! Their servers will just not respond or will erratically work w/ one app or a browser (or vice versa) - e.g. last night I upgraded my MBPro to Yosemite and this morning I could not get my mail using the OS 10.10.1 Mail App - why? Same messages that you received (and which I've gotten numerous times in the past) - well, I then tried to connect using a browser and no luck, so the problem again was w/ Yahoo - by mid-day, all was well; SO, you will run into these occasional Yahoo glitches w/ their mail offering - if you must be able to send out mail at anytime, then obtain an additional account elsewhere (e.g. Gmail, iCloud, etc.). Dave :)

OP
L

lhamilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find that in a pinch, usually I can use yahoo mail from the browser itself.

OP
L

lhamilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Yahoo Mail App started sending and receiving mail again finally but refused to let me delete or move messages from the inbox. I put up with that for a few days, but, when it didn't stop, uninstalled and reinstalled the app. That has corrected the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts