What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail Problem

Doug.ie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
30 December I started to have problems sending mail to trash. At first I thought it was just a file problem. I have three email accounts and the problems has occurred on each. I tried clearing the system, several times, by holding the top on/off control and holding the bottom button, until I get the Apple sign on screen. This works for 5 - 10 emails and my mail freezes when I click on the trash button. Has anyone experienced this?

I have noticed that if I move a plane email to the trash folder or the archive folder I am unable to read it back. I get the following error message:
This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program. text/plain
However if I send a more complicated email containing graphics probably an HTML 5 format it goes to the archivie or trash folder and I am successfully able to read it back. I wonder if there is some kind of bug in iOS 7 that is doing this?
It sounds like you have a crash problem as soon as you tap the trashcan? Although the two problems may be related.
Doug

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't use mail on 2 different systems at the same time. For example, I can't have Apple Mail actively running on my iMac and MacBook Pro at the same time. If I do, Charter gets all kinds of weird....from authentication errors, to getting funky copies of the same email on one or the other. Also, my mailbox message count gets all outta whack. If I simply close one of the mail programs.....and I'm only using mail on one system to access my email servers, all is good. As soon as I fire up another one, where I have active mail clients on 2 different systems....all he'll breaks loose.

So, i only run my mail client on whatever system I'm using....iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac....it's closed out on the others.

OP
cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't use mail on 2 different systems at the same time. For example, I can't have Apple Mail actively running on my iMac and MacBook Pro at the same time. If I do, Charter gets all kinds of weird....from authentication errors, to getting funky copies of the same email on one or the other. Also, my mailbox message count gets all outta whack. If I simply close one of the mail programs.....and I'm only using mail on one system to access my email servers, all is good. As soon as I fire up another one, where I have active mail clients on 2 different systems....all he'll breaks loose. So, i only run my mail client on whatever system I'm using....iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac....it's closed out on the others.

Understand your problem. I have no Apple products, except IOS on iPhone and IPad. I have current version of Windows 8.1 on Desk Top computers. I wish I could afford MAC to get Final Cut Pro. That cost a leg and arm.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't use mail on 2 different systems at the same time. For example, I can't have Apple Mail actively running on my iMac and MacBook Pro at the same time. If I do, Charter gets all kinds of weird....from authentication errors, to getting funky copies of the same email on one or the other. Also, my mailbox message count gets all outta whack. If I simply close one of the mail programs.....and I'm only using mail on one system to access my email servers, all is good. As soon as I fire up another one, where I have active mail clients on 2 different systems....all he'll breaks loose.

So, i only run my mail client on whatever system I'm using....iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac....it's closed out on the others.

If Charter uses POP3 servers, then that's what happens. Keeping things in sync will be nearly impossible. Depending on how they have POP3 setup, it may only allow one mail client to be connected at a time. Check with your Charter help/support pages and see if you have the option of using IMAP or Exchange as your mail protocol. If you can, change both devices and computer to that.

POP3 is an outdated protocol that many of us wish would die. It was never designed to support more than one computer/device.

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I pop mail from Charter....it's how they tell you to set it up....it really doesn't matter as I prefer to only have one client pulling anyway. Just thought I'd mention it in the off chance it helps the OP.

Most reactions