What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail message says "not downloaded from the server"

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can send an email but not receive. I know that when I got this activated the Apple Store told me that my Cable provider don't work well with iPads that if I was to get an email I'd be lucky. They advise me to use something else like open a Gmail account or a Yahoo account also. But, so far I don't use mine for email that much. Mostly I sent out as a test to see if I could send anything. But would be nice if the cable provider worked with iPads also. I might go ahead and add the Yahoo email account that I'm using for emails. Pain to do so?

Can you let us know your settings - obviously not the account and password - but stuff like IMAP or POP, SSL settings and port numbers? They're found in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Account'. Then we'll see what we can do...

Tim

Don't understand why it says IMAP Account Information at the top before all of your information, I use a pop account. Here is the information:
Description: Cox
Incoming Mail Server:

Host Name: pop.west.cox.net
SMTP:smtp.west.cox.net
Primary Server:smtp.west.cox.net On

Incoming settings

Use SSL OFF

IMAP Path Prefix/
Server Port:143

Outgoing Mail Server
Host Name smtp.west.cox.net
use SSL off

Server port: 587

Hope that this helps.

GB

OK - you've solved your own problem. The iPad is trying to use the IMAP protocol and the server is a POP server. You need to change from IMAP to POP. Probably easier to set-up a new account from scratch rather than trying to edit the old one. When you set it up from new you get the option of either POP or IMAP....however, just check to see if your service provider has IMAP because that's a newer protocol and you'll get a lot of advantages from using it on the iPad - like the ability to import your email server folder setup and the ability to search all your emails that are on the server - irrespective of how many there are.

So that would be my recommendation - see if your email service provider supports IMAP and switch the server to something like IMAP.west.cox.net

Tim

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you let us know your settings - obviously not the account and password - but stuff like IMAP or POP, SSL settings and port numbers? They're found in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Account'. Then we'll see what we can do...

Tim

Don't understand why it says IMAP Account Information at the top before all of your information, I use a pop account. Here is the information:
Description: Cox
Incoming Mail Server:

Host Name: pop.west.cox.net
SMTP:smtp.west.cox.net
Primary Server:smtp.west.cox.net On

Incoming settings

Use SSL OFF

IMAP Path Prefix/
Server Port:143

Outgoing Mail Server
Host Name smtp.west.cox.net
use SSL off

Server port: 587

Hope that this helps.

GB

OK - you've solved your own problem. The iPad is trying to use the IMAP protocol and the server is a POP server. You need to change from IMAP to POP. Probably easier to set-up a new account from scratch rather than trying to edit the old one. When you set it up from new you get the option of either POP or IMAP....however, just check to see if your service provider has IMAP because that's a newer protocol and you'll get a lot of advantages from using it on the iPad - like the ability to import your email server folder setup and the ability to search all your emails that are on the server - irrespective of how many there are.

So that would be my recommendation - see if your email service provider supports IMAP and switch the server to something like IMAP.west.cox.net

Tim

Well, called the cable company. They're POP3 only, no IMAP. So, will I have to delete my mail account and start all over again? I was checking through here and didn't see any box settings where you could swap the IMAP to POP. Guess that'd be a royal pain to do wouldn't it? So, just hit delete account then do another one? Hmmm, is there a setting when creating an account to tell it pop so that it won't automatically go IMAP?

GB

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I set up a new account I get a choice of either POP or IMAP. I currently have one POP account and one IMAP. I agree, though, I can't see any way to swap from one to the other, so you'll have to set it up from scratch.

Tim

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forum has an app? Cool! Will have to check into this when fixing the new email address later.

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the email working. Deleted old one and did a new one. Changed to PoP and also had to redo the user. The Apple Store really screwed up when getting my email going. Now works fine!
Going to go and check that app for forum out and put on the home screen.

Thanks for helping me set up the email all. :)

GB

Bazza22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem 'message not downloaded from the server' and discovered that at the top of the email page where it says Inbox (..) there follows two arrows thus < >
These will move the email on to the next and then by moving back to the last I found the email appeared. Hope this helps.
Bazza22

Most reactions