What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail message says "not downloaded from the server"

Nipi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All emails come through to the inbox, but some of them say "this message has not been downloaded from the server". It does show who it is from.
When I go to the emails through the website of my server I can see the full message, there doesn't seem to be anything in common with the ones that don't come through.
Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is only a guess, but maybe:

Do you get a lot of email? If so go to settings and up the number for Show Recent Messages.

OP
N

Nipi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but no.

I get very few emails at the moment, about 5 a day, so that's not the answer, but thanks for trying.

iPadre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this same problem. And at the bottom it then says "this message only partially downloaded", right above a button that says "Download remaining 0 bytes". Mine is a pop server. Neither the server nor my iPad has an extraordinary number of emails on it. This seems to happen intermittently, and if I had to guess it is somewhat more common for longish text messages. It's annoying, as these messages are precisely the ones that I don't have time to read when I'm at my computer, and would only read if they're tucked away on my laptop. Any ideas?

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem did you ever solve it?

I get the " this message isnonl partially downloaded" slot and it says click here to download the remaining x kb and nothing happens??

OP
N

Nipi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sort of solved

The Apple shop says that they have more trouble with talktalk than any other ISP, specially their emails. So I have solved my own problem by getting another email address and now I never get the problem. When I rang Talktalk they said that they didn't have any knowledge about iPads! So beware, they may be cheap, but they are 'confused'.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get the " this meDDoesssage isnonl partially downloaded" slot and it says click here to download the remaining x kb and nothing happens??

When you click, does the message 'This message is only partially downloaded' disappear or does it stay on the screen? Sometimes the remaining data that needs to be downloaded may not be immediately apparent in the displayed email - it could, for example, be part of an image which is not on the screen but that you'd need to scroll to be able to see. Does the message seem complete; are there any obviously missing 'parts' - i.e. incomplete images or other information?

Let us know. I saw the suggestion from the above poster. talk talk is a UK service provider and I think you live in the US but it's a good suggestion. Do you have any other email accounts? Does this problem only affect one of them or do they all behave in the same manner.

Get back to us and we'll try to sort this out.

Tim
Scotland

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the message stays on the screen. it blinks and the little "wheel" that apple uses while a device is "thinking" downloading etc. spins for about 1/2 second as if it is going to download then the message stays the same. oddly it only happens so far with the iClarified newsletter, and not always and not dependent upon how big the message is i don't think. i'm posting question there too. thx.

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can send an email but not receive. I know that when I got this activated the Apple Store told me that my Cable provider don't work well with iPads that if I was to get an email I'd be lucky. They advise me to use something else like open a Gmail account or a Yahoo account also. But, so far I don't use mine for email that much. Mostly I sent out as a test to see if I could send anything. But would be nice if the cable provider worked with iPads also. I might go ahead and add the Yahoo email account that I'm using for emails. Pain to do so?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can send an email but not receive. I know that when I got this activated the Apple Store told me that my Cable provider don't work well with iPads that if I was to get an email I'd be lucky. They advise me to use something else like open a Gmail account or a Yahoo account also. But, so far I don't use mine for email that much. Mostly I sent out as a test to see if I could send anything. But would be nice if the cable provider worked with iPads also. I might go ahead and add the Yahoo email account that I'm using for emails. Pain to do so?

Can you let us know your settings - obviously not the account and password - but stuff like IMAP or POP, SSL settings and port numbers? They're found in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Account'. Then we'll see what we can do...

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the message stays on the screen. it blinks and the little "wheel" that apple uses while a device is "thinking" downloading etc. spins for about 1/2 second as if it is going to download then the message stays the same. oddly it only happens so far with the iClarified newsletter, and not always and not dependent upon how big the message is i don't think. i'm posting question there too. thx.

Could you resolve the problem by using the iClalified app instead?

Tim

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah Georgia boy there is no reason you should not be able to take advantage of your email on iPad it's one of my favorite features. Yahoo and gmail both set up automatically for u on iPad but if you habpve a different address that should be doable too....like tim said need more info...who is your cable provider, what city, and what is your email address I'll try to get the settings tim is talking about if u can't find them...again dont send usnur passwords though...

Georgia boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Can you let us know your settings - obviously not the account and password - but stuff like IMAP or POP, SSL settings and port numbers? They're found in 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Account'. Then we'll see what we can do...

Tim

Don't understand why it says IMAP Account Information at the top before all of your information, I use a pop account. Here is the information:
Description: Cox
Incoming Mail Server:

Host Name: pop.west.cox.net
SMTP:smtp.west.cox.net
Primary Server:smtp.west.cox.net On

Incoming settings

Use SSL OFF

IMAP Path Prefix/
Server Port:143

Outgoing Mail Server
Host Name smtp.west.cox.net
use SSL off