What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail is so annoying

Theo1231231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have a hotmail account. A few years ago I bout an iPod touch 1st gen, the mail app kept sending me emails I have already read in hotmail.com, then a few years after that I bout myself an iPhone 3GS. And the mail app did the same thing. Now I have an iPad 2 and its doing the same thing again. I had never thought of consulting help up until this moment in time. Is there a way to either make it stop sending me emails I have already read, or is tuyere a way to like select all so I can delete them all really fast? Please help me! please... D:

Banquish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you view them in the app, it won't be a problem :p
Or make a shortcut for the inbox on your home screen and bypass the mail app altogether

Reaction score
The problem is not Hotmail, but rather a limitation of the POP protocol. Just follow these instructions to setup the hotmail mail as an exchange account:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/08/...d-touch-for-push-email-calendar-contacts.html

In case you are wondering, why Mail redownloads already read emails, it is because with POP, the mail app simply downloads mails, but has no way of talking back to the server, to inform it, whether you read the email, moved it to another folder, deleted it, etc., it can only download emails and send emails, but is unable to synchronize with the emailserver. With the above linked setup, this will be a thing of the past, as it does a full synchronization of all your email folders.

OP
T

Theo1231231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, problem solved. Awesome that's really good. :D

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to have hotmail, and I don't anymore. It was terrible. About 3 days a week it wouldn't even let me sync emails. Fail. Switched to gmail, and love it! Works awesome. Of course, google is better than Microsoft. :)

OP
T

Theo1231231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get me started on all that. I absolutely know hotmail isn't the best out there, but I set this account up so many years ago now and I've signed up for so many things which I really, really don't want to have to go through again, also loads of people already know my email now I might not have their contact blah blah... It would take me hours to sort it all out and I don't really think it's worth it.. I haven't encountered any ' problems' while using it. Disadvantages, yes.. But it's not too bad. I'm not exactly a Microsoft hater, I have win7 simply because macs are expensive. I would gladly choose mac over pc if price wasn't an issue. But I do have my moments with windows, like if my pc crashes I sometimes just go crazy shouting ****MICROSOFT PIECE OF S&@! and then it boots up again and I'm fine ( sort of ) anyway I've kinda rambled on here. But it's hard not to, you can type so fast and neatly on the iPad 2 agreed? Anyway thnx again for the help, you made my..( not week because my iPad 2 came a few days ago) but defiantly you made my day! Thnx :) oh also while I'm rambling, does any1 know how to change my profile picture on this app from your iPad? Any1? Anyway check back wi you in the morning, night night.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good to see that Hotmail as an alternative setup Thanks, Dont. That should solve a lot of people's problems with the service.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .oh also while I'm rambling, does any1 know how to change my profile picture on this app from your iPad? Any1? Anyway check back wi you in the morning, night night.

Visit the site in Safari, chose User CP tab. Choose Edit Avatar from the left column.

On the iPad you're pretty much stuck with the default offerings or a complicated work around; because you can't use the Choose File button. There is no file system on the iPad to go browsing through, so the button will be grayed out.

Uploading your own is a painful two step process. If you have a site or service where you can upload the picture and then link to it (must be a link ending with the file and it's extension) you can use the URL option to upload an avatar. Be sure to pay attention to the file size limitations.

I recommend just using a computer if you have one handy. It's a lot easier.

Most reactions