What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail going to inbox

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi There
Ipad2 incoming mail going to Junk mail.
Have been told to go to "preferences" to see if a filter has been set up somehow, but I cannot find this area of preferences.

Would appreciate help.

OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heading should read mail going to junk mail of course

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are no preferences on an iPad.

Which kind of account shows this behaviour? (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, ...)

If it's an account which you can access through a browser, login and take a look at it's settings.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi There
Ipad2 incoming mail going to Junk mail.
Have been told to go to "preferences" to see if a filter has been set up somehow, but I cannot find this area of preferences.

Would appreciate help.
The person who gave that advice likely thought you were seeking help with email on a Mac rather than an iPad.

OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JA

I am referring to an iCloud account (my sons) .
He visited today and we had iPads side by side, and when I sent him mail, it went straight into his junk mail.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JA

I am referring to an iCloud account (my sons) .
He visited today and we had iPads side by side, and when I sent him mail, it went straight into his junk mail.
Have him go to the website page for his email account to make sure emails from your email address have not been accidentally listed as spam. That could be one cause for emails from you going straight to his junk folder.

OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry but don't know what you mean by his mail website, it's on iCloud.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure he has your email address in his Contact app.. This will preempt iCloud's spam filtering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure he has your email address in his Contact app.. This will preempt iCloud's spam filtering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there

We have exchanged mail for years, both in each other's contacts.

I have been told, that somehow (and I know it happens) a box has been ticked sending incoming mail to his junk, I just don't know where to look.

I teach "basic" computing to dummies, so am reasonably compute my, but stuck on this one

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to www.icloud.com, using a browser on a computer.
Login with his iCloud ID and password. There, select "Mail". At the bottom left, you'll find the "Settings" icon. Select it and take a look at the items there. If something has to be changed, you can do it there.

iCloud is also able to learn which emails are junk and which are not.

Still in the iCloud account (browser), in Mail, open the Junk folder. Go to an email that was sent to the folder there, but shouldn't be there. At the top right of the message, you should find a "Not Junk" button. Select it. The email will be sent to the Inbox, and all following emails from the same sender won't be sent to the Junk folder automatically.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Johanna's suggestions are good.

If you have a Mac, another place to look is in Preferences in Mail, the Rules tab.

These are local rules, so they only work if Mail is open on the Mac; but since iCloud is an IMAP service the results of any rules executed on the Mac will quickly be synced to the server, and then the iPad.

Rules in icloud.com (which Johanna described) are executed before either the Mac or iPad sees the email.

Apple also has automatic spam filtering, but having addresses in your Contacts is supposed to bypass this. So that shouldn't be the problem.

Hmm, are you using iCloud to sync your Contacts? Because if you are not then maybe iCloud's spam filtering does't see those addresses.

Last edited:
OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A?

What you are suggesting, is that only to be done using a PC, or will it work on the iPad.

Poet
No, I don't have a mac

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible to do this on an iPad as well, if it's running iOS 8. This is what you'd see on an iPad in Safari when opening www.icloud.com:
image.png

You'd have to get the website view, by tapping the address bar once more, sliding down a bit and selecting "Request Desktop Site". Then you'll be able to login. Using Safari on an iPad isn't the best way to get this done, though, because it's not working without problems.

It's way easier, and works quite a bit better, accessing the website on a computer, thus my suggestion.

OP
frenchman96

frenchman96

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JA
I have just tried your suggestion using my laptop, brilliant instructions, now I follow your drift.

I c/on "not junk" on a message I had sent him, wont know if it works until I am in touch with him later and I can test again by sending message.

I have taken a printscreen of the "settings" icon section, I cant see anything wrong, but will attach for your opinion.

Very impressed with site so far, nice we can attach

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 177

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Settings screenshot isn't any different than in my iCloud account.

Please let us know if it worked.

Most reactions