What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnets danger in ipad 2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good. I really do try (most of the time) not to be offensive.

By the way, now that you have three posts you could actually attach/post an example graph, if you feel it will help.

Thanks for coming by and contributing. It's always good to meet (even virtually) people who care.

shuntengineer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^^^^
We are working on an official release, I have to be careful about reviews before posting internally generated data publically. So trying to explain best I can with words. Interestingly, we get feedback that folks can't understand graphically presented data either!

Here's a good review, scrolling down you can see the shape of the field curve with distance. The data is presented in millitesla. For reference 10,000 Gauss = 1 Tesla

http://homepage.mac.com/cbakken/weblabs/magfieldstr.pdf

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
^^^^
We are working on an official release, I have to be careful about internally reviews before posting data. So trying to explain best I can with words. Interestingly, we get feedback that folks can't understand graphically presented data either!

Sadly, I'm not surprised. Though choosing the right graph probably helps. For your purposes I think something as simple as an actual-size line with the half power points plotted by distance (the danger zone in red). Do it for half a dozen common magnets (with a few untypical for comparison).

And I understand about official releases. The only thing worse than no information is the wrong information; especially in your field.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Shuntengineer for bringing your expertise on this subject. Very nice of you!
And to you Twerppoet for your wonderful sense of humor. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

BluejayBacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue is it only takes the briefest encounter with a magnet and the valve is impacted. The magnet lifts the adjustable mechanism and moves it in the direction that the magnet passes. My children actually lay there heads by the iPad in the evening when watching videos. My niece has a programmable strata valve that was being inadvertantly reprogrammed. My brother is certain that the iPad 2 was the culprit as he has not had the issue since being made aware of the magnets. I agree with the science expressed in earlier posts but the real world with children is not quite so simple. I do appreciate everyone's insight.

shel688

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou

I really want to thank you for this thread and all the answers! What an amazing site. My son also has a programmable VP shunt. He uses the IPAD for many reasons as he is also visually impaired. His teacher received and email about the risks for shunt setting changes. He is very aware of his shunt and to avoid electronics being close to that side. Its nice knowing there are places concerned moms like me can get answers. TY again for the thread and all the replies!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts