What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnets causing issues with credit cards

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
How often do you put your iPad on top of credit cards?

LOL, good question but I cringe at the prospect of some of the replies you might get :0

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I worry a little that it will damage my portable HDD I carry in the same bag, but from what I know magnetic field has to be very strong or very close to media to do some damage...

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mythbusters did a show on this and it took quite a bit to wipe a credit card, much more than these Neodymium Magnets can put out.

Unless you're referring to another kind of magnet, neodymium (NdFeB) magnets are amongst the strongest kind of magnets in existence - strong enough that you can incur serious injury if parts of skin or flesh are caught between two magnets. I would never let any magnetic-sensitive device or item near an NdFeB.

More info -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Unless you're referring to another kind of magnet, neodymium (NdFeB) magnets are amongst the strongest kind of magnets in existence - strong enough that you can incur serious injury if parts of skin or flesh are caught between two magnets. I would never let any magnetic-sensitive device or item near an NdFeB.

More info -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

Yep. +1 on this.

The only time I've ever had an issue with magnets wiping cards was when I forgot to remove my wallet from my back pocket before entering an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) imaging room to off-load a patient onto the imaging unit table. Normal procedure is to remove all metal items, like hip tool pouches, stethoscopes, badges, pens, glasses, jewelry, and-of course-wallets. During the process of scooting this person into position on the table, my rear came close to the MRI unit several times. Not a single card in my wallet left the building unscathed, as I found out later on when I attempted to use them. Now THAT'S a magnet!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen credit cards and magnetic parking tickets get wiped by the anti-theft demagnetizer at checkout counters, but I have no idea how strong the field strength is. (I would have guessed on the low side.)

southpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yakuzagang5 said:
How often do you put your iPad on top of credit cards?

I keep mine in my purse, but have been trying to keep my wallet and iPad at opposite sides.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
southpaw said:
I keep mine in my purse, but have been trying to keep my wallet and iPad at opposite sides.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

If your purse is like most women's purses than credit cards and magnets, it seems, would be the least of your worries. LOL
I'd NEVER put my iPad in my purse, with all of those items :0

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've had credit cards, train cards, bus cards etc etc all wiped clean of magnetic info on numerous occasions in the past just by constantly carrying them together in the same pocket with my mobile phone. so yes, in my experience, the magnetic charge is enough to wipe some sensitive cards.

Reaction score
As mentioned before, the magnets in the SmartCover are too weak to cause any damage to CC's.

I have already tried it with my Visa card by moving it directly across the magnets and then afterwards testing it's functionality with a card reader.

Last edited:

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nickso said:
Wow, it's strange that you all have had magnetic strip issues, I have never lost a magnetic strip, guess I have been lucky. I have many Neo Mags, some fairly large and have had them in the same bag as my wallet. When one of my credit or debit cards expire I will test this.

If your card expires how will u know if it works or not?

Reaction score
This discussion is leading nowhere without actual tests. So here is a short clip of running a Visa card over the magnets and afterwards testing the cards functionality with the help of a card reader.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhRJ7GcRLG4[/ame]

Just a side-note: Don't expect any sound, I haven't yet figured iMovie out.

Most reactions