What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnetic iPad 2 Car mount

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the new iPad 2 with the smart cover and when I saw the fridge magnet demo my mind for thinking of how this could be utilised.

I took a cheap magnetic whiteboard 99p from the local market, cut it up to suit the top box on my car dash, covered it with black felt (pressed thinner) and spray mounted the felt to the metal.

Then using automotive tape fastened the unit to the top box and voila.

Total cost £2.30

Hope it inspires you.

p.s. the install is for satnav only. Seems I can't add photos till I have 3 posts

OP
D

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photos coming

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have a Ford Mondeo too - so I know this will work in my car!! Many thanks for sharing that great idea. Welcome to the Forum too!!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Its an S-Max but I guess there are many common parts. I need to test it on the move.

Before this I had a bootlace solution which wasn't quite as elegant.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - the dash looks identical!! Yes, I wondered about how much it would move around when the car is in motion....keep us updated, please.

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Needs a little tweak to improve adhesion. Will post updates soon.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks a great solution, though. There's a market there for it. It has several advantages - the first being that it's easily removed when you need it. Some of the car mounts that I've seen require a considerable degree of fixing and unfixing, which would tend to dissuade you from using them for a short journey. This is so simple that you'd use it every time.

I've also seen a couple of very sophisticated mounts that integrate the iPad into the dash - they look great of course, but would be difficult to sell the vehicle subsequently unless your buyer was an iPad enthusiast!

Please - let us know how it turns out.

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the update , a much more rigid frame which has a metal strip at the mack and two strong rare earth magnets at the front, all covered in funky foam craft material.

Total cost £13

Note the hole so that the locker can still be used.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously - are you planning to market this? I think there'd be a great market in the UK!

Tim
Scotland

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know how it holds up to bumps in the road, etc. I'm thinking something similar, but I will extend some cords or something from the front vents to a magnet I'll fabricate as you've done hear. Nothing gets affixed to the car.

Keep up the good work.

OP
D

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know how it holds up to bumps in the road, etc. I'm thinking something similar, but I will extend some cords or something from the front vents to a magnet I'll fabricate as you've done hear. Nothing gets affixed to the car.

Keep up the good work.

It works exceptionally well and holds solid. I'm really pleased with it and it looks neat when not in use too. I have had a few people ask where I bought it from. They were surprised when I told them that I had made it.

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Awesome DIY buddy, you should definitely try and market the product. You may be sorry to find out later someone's getting rich from your idea.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Frankie4Fingers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way you can repost the pictures of this project? I can't see the pictures. They are showing up as boxes with red Xs in them.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frankie4Fingers said:
Is there any way you can repost the pictures of this project? I can't see the pictures. They are showing up as boxes with red Xs in them.

Yeah, they're not showing for me either.
Sounds interesting though, I'd love to see it!

Most reactions

Latest posts