What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazines on the iPad?

DAVISinLA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a new user, one of the things I would like to do is read magazines on the iPad. However I've been a bit disappointed, not only as to the selection available, but the terrible reviews many publication apps have recieved in the apps store.

Example: as a car guy, it seems that most car magazines cost as much as the printed versions (that I already receive). The iPad version of Sunset appears to be available for free to print subscribers (which I am not). And the reviews are horrible.

It would seem that this would be a booming market - and one that would be easier for an old guy like me to get into.

I feel like I'm missing something.

So do you read magazines on the iPad? If so, which ones?

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences in this area.

Thanks.

ultim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zinio is probably the best magazine app.

A lot of magazines are only starting to offer digital editions and I'm sure soon the quality will be a lot better. Also many are already offering digital edition as part of their print subscription.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Time and The Economist are free for print subscribers and I enjoy reading them in their app editions. I also get AARP and Consumer Reports. It takes a little fiddling but easy to read pages and articles are available for all of these. Do check your print magazines to see if an app is mentioned anywhere.

iphoneblaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really,Its also attracted by me and i can not think my single day without reading magazine on the iPad. iPad giving us lot of facilities and its one of them . I would love to read magazine on the iPad so much just likes you.

robin.cole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm quite new to iPad too however a long time user of iPhone, I have used mags but find them costly really I have found that however the metro newspaper which is free is a good app to have and up to date, very Handy when either commuting or getting the park and ride bus, into towns and cities ect. Also no ink hands.

robin.cole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry just realised la Los angels maby no free metro where you are I'm in the uk

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zinio is probably the best magazine app.

A lot of magazines are only starting to offer digital editions and I'm sure soon the quality will be a lot better. Also many are already offering digital edition as part of their print subscription.

Zinio looks like a Book/Newspaper Stand, it does not have a APP ? Does it ? If you buy a book or a newspaper from Zinio where does it get downloaded directly on your iPad or can u read it from your Kindle APP ?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vish26 said:
Zinio looks like a Book/Newspaper Stand, it does not have a APP ? Does it ? If you buy a book or a newspaper from Zinio where does it get downloaded directly on your iPad or can u read it from your Kindle APP ?

Zinio does indeed have an app......

image-791552605.jpg

The Archangel

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how is Zinio different from Kindle, why should anyone choose a Zinio over a kindle ? Kindle has a APP upgraded for the Retina Display of the new iPad which I believe Zinio does not...Reading is going to be much more fun on the Kindle versus in Zinio because of the text appearing more sharper in Kindle's Retina Display APP.

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since when does kindle have retina display? I've been using the Zinio app since it came out and it's display of magazines is great. I prefer the digital versions over the paper ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mini_mi said:
Since when does kindle have retina display? I've been using the Zinio app since it came out and it's display of magazines is great. I prefer the digital versions over the paper ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe that the previous poster was referring to the Kindle app for the iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It all depends on what mags you get. Apple doesn't control who publishes Mags on the iPad and what they charge for them.

I get MacLife, Maximum PC in the Newstand. They both are 0.99 an issue if you subscribe. I get PC Mag and Nat Geo in Zinio. It supports the retina display. They have good prices too and are offering various discounts all the time. Why not use Zinio? Amazon is not the only game in town.

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on what mags you get. Apple doesn't control who publishes Mags on the iPad and what they charge for them.

I get MacLife, Maximum PC in the Newstand. They both are 0.99 an issue if you subscribe. I get PC Mag and Nat Geo in Zinio. It supports the retina display. They have good prices too and are offering various discounts all the time. Why not use Zinio? Amazon is not the only game in town.

So u r saying for Certain Magazines Zinio does support a Retina Display ?

One more thing also that I noticed is when you download a Magazine in ZINIO it dos not have a like the wat you Flip your finger from right to left to turn the page to the next page which is possible in Kndle is it possible in Zinio ?

Last edited:

Most reactions