What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazines on iPad, How Important Is an App?

How essential is it for Automotive Traveler Magazine to offer an iPad app?

• Totally essential

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat essential

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am happy with my PDF magazine. Wierd is nice , but to download 400M for each Magazine, on a tablet with no USB - is too much.
PDF is much smaller. You can re-size the page.
from the publisher point of view PDF is not good. It will be circulated free on the net an hour after being published. No way to protect it. With the application you may sale adds .

OP
A

AutoTraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They are coming from a different perspective than my own.

I'm still conflicted on the app vs browser strategy. The app gives me complete control over the integrity of the presentation. But as a small publisher, the cost (from the developer quotes I've gotten) is prohibitive and gets worse if apps need to be developed for additional platforms like Android.

The browser/viewer approach is universal, works on any device but I realize that it looks best (and was designed for) screens at least as big as the one found on an iPad, a minimum of 10 inches. Does anyone really read magazines on smaller devices, like an iPhone? Maybe younger people do, but it's my belief that if you're over a certain age, say 40 or 45, this is simply not the case. Am I wrong?

It's obvious to me, as the content creator/publisher, that if this is seen as a PDF, we're doing something wrong in the way we are marketing Automotive Traveler. Although we output the page layouts from Scribus (and InDesign open source clone) to PDF, there is a lot going on before you see the presentation in our viewer. This has to do with things like how the content is searched and how we will be presenting video in the months to come.

In stepping back and looking at this from a global perspective, not only does it seem that I'm trying to bridge the gap between traditional magazines and the web, but between netbooks, laptops, and desktops with tablets like the iPad.

Even though Apple is on track to sell up to 50 million iPads this year (I assume this is worldwide), their overall household penetration will remain less than 10% here in the US, at least through the end of the year. As a content creator I'm trying to position myself as this market evolves and expands, reaching the maximum number of readers. Overall, it's no secret, that porting magazine-type content to tablets hasn't been all that successful. Wired, which many people cite as a good example, hasn't come close to the sales when it was first introduced. Is the size of the app impacting its success. This is certainly an advantage to a browser-based approach.

That will change once pricing models meet reality. Many people would much rather but a subsidized subscription for $10/year (83 cents an issue typically) than pay $3.99 per month for virtually the same content as an app. This is the battle the big publishers are fighting right now. They saw what iTunes did to the music industry, and don't want that to happen to them. Have you seen the size of the CD section in your local Best Buy? It's virtually gone.

Will the iPad replace traditional magazines as a way of delivering magazine-style content? I'm not sure. Many older readers, those for who magazines were an important part of their lives, find it hard. But the handwriting is on the wall as it was just announced that for the first time ever, eBooks now outsell traditional paperbacks. That's more because of Kindle and the Nook along with other eReaders but I think the iPad will be an increasingly important part of the picture.

I hope to keep the discussion going, hopefully getting more people involved so I can get a better handle on the process.

Richard Truesdell
Co-Founder and Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler Magazine, AutomotiveTraveler.com

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I read a lot. Depending on my schedule, I probably average a book a week. I also have I also have 9(?) magazine subscriptions that come to my house.

A year ago I bought a nook just to give it a try. I never thought I could get past not having the "book" feel. Boy was I wrong. I love the convenience of the nook, and don't think I purchased a paper book since I bought it.

I read a few online magazines, but haven't purchased a subscription to one yet. Since I bought this iPad (my first tablet) I've found I am getting behind in my magazine reading. I'm now starting to look for online versions. I'm not ready to make the switch as I did with books, but I absolutely believe I will eventually, if the format is nice. It only makes sense to carry all my media on my iPad. I can't see it taking the place of my Nook, but I can easily see it replace my magazines. I'd prefer a central reader like Zinio (which I don't care for), but I'd purchase the right app. Wired is a great example of an app done right.

As for my iPhone, you're mostly right in my case. I wouldn't purchase something to read on my iPhone, but I do use it for reading at times. I love the nook app. It syncs across devices. I can read on my nook, then find myself stuck in a waiting room the next day, take out my iPhone, and pick up where I left off. I can go to the camper on the weekend, realize I left my Nook a home, and pick up where I left off on my iPad.

I've already decided to buy a few magazine issues that I don't currently subscribe to see if I like them.

OP
A

AutoTraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Martlet,

I find it so interesting that you distinguish between using the Nook for books (I assume it's not a Nook Color) and the possibility of using the iPad for magazines. I would think that you would do books and magazines both on the iPad, possibly with the Nook and Kindle apps for the iPad.

What am I missing?

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AutoTraveler said:
Martlet,

I find it so interesting that you distinguish between using the Nook for books (I assume it's not a Nook Color) and the possibility of using the iPad for magazines. I would think that you would do books and magazines both on the iPad, possibly with the Nook and Kindle apps for the iPad.

What am I missing?

E-ink has a much different "feel" to it. It's easier on the eyes and is less distracting. I allows me to fall into a book easier. This is particularly important since I normally read before bed.

Magazines are different. They usually aren't soothing, have large color images, glossy pages, and are typically more information driven. You usually don't fall into a story, even a short magazine story. They are often fact or opinion driven, full of short pieces and bright pictures. That would look pretty on E-ink. I wouldn't make the Nook my primary magazine reader for the same reason I wouldn't make the iPad my primary book reader. The medium is just wrong for the experience.

Magazines on the iPad can look great if done right. Touch an image and have I fill the whole page. Links right in the article to be viewed immediately. Videos embedded. The opportunities are endless.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AutoTraveler said:
Martlet,

What am I missing?

E-ink has a much different "feel" to it. It's easier on the eyes and is less distracting. I allows me to fall into a book easier. This is particularly important since I normally read before bed.

Magazines are different. They usually aren't soothing, have large color images, glossy pages, and are typically more information driven. You usually don't fall into a story, even a short magazine story. They are often fact or opinion driven, full of short pieces and bright pictures. That would look pretty on E-ink. I wouldn't make the Nook my primary magazine reader for the same reason I wouldn't make the iPad my primary book reader. The medium is just wrong for the experience.

Magazines on the iPad can look great if done right. Touch an image and have I fill the whole page. Links right in the article to be viewed immediately. Videos embedded. The opportunities are endless.

I agree with all of this.

Plus the iPad is quite a bit heaver than most of the e-ink e-readers that are on the market. I usually have to put my iPad down at least once while reading a magazine in order to give my hands and wrists a break. With my Kindle I can hold it for hours without any pain.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A suggestion for those that find the Ipad too heavy to read. I use a strange lightweight stand or holder called a Prop Up
http://propupstore.com/
and never hold my Ipad for either reading or typing. In bed its wonderful (BTW, I prefer the Kindle/Nook apps etc because they DO have a night mode and I can turn off all lights and not disturb anyone, husband or dog LOL).

Sorry to go off topic but to interject a bit of topic I do read magazines and newspapers on the Ipad. I read some mags through Zinio and they have live links, allow me to zoom, etc. I read newspapers through apps and on the net--but prefer apps. I do think if you had the ability to read offline that would make a difference for me. I have wifi only but do have a phone with mobile hot spot but I'd never bother tethering sitting in a waiting room or in line, something similar.

Diane

Most reactions