magazines and newspapers on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Olesya, Jul 7, 2010.

1. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I acquired the Zinio app and subscribed to National Geographic, Mother Earth News, Eco Car magazines and just for fun the Readers Digest free cartoon jokes issue.

In Zinio there is a bar at the bottom of the page that allows a quick browsing of a magazine by showing thumbnails of all pages. Tap on one and you're on that page. Text is too small, pinch zoom and surf on the page. Pictures come out awesome in this way. That makes NG a better read in this way than the paper version.

Links are annoying to use at this stage because Zinio has to shut down, open Safari and then bring the link. When you're done with it you must shut down Safari and reopen Zinio back to that page. Multitasking would bring a more gracious feel to this experience.

Interestingly, my biggest praise will go to the on demand Geico commercials inside the Readers Digest special issue. The videos are native inside the magazine, click on the picture and it becomes a video window still incased in the page layout. Classy!

Magazines are a perfect application for the iPad touch interface.

I don't read newspapers because they lock me in a timeframe style of "read it now or forget it". It's not my lifestyle, I prefer reading when I feel like it and that's not every day.

2. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Zinio gets my vote as a magazine e-reader. I've been using it for a few months now and love it