What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mac RDP - not VNC - no app install... does it exist?

skater_boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've waded through the huge thread on RDP for Mac but I didn't see what I was looking for.

I need a way to remote into Mac's without the need to install an app or activate the VNC protocol. Does such a beast exist?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since Apple has not made a Back to My Mac or Remote Apple Desktop app, I'd say no. VNC or an app installed on the Mac are pretty much it. I'm pretty sure those use VNC, btw.

Though there is SSH, if you were willing to settle for shell commands.

iPadFreaksow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've waded through the huge thread on RDP for Mac but I didn't see what I was looking for.

I need a way to remote into Mac's without the need to install an app or activate the VNC protocol. Does such a beast exist?

There is no way to remote access a Mac without installing applications or activating services, why wouldn't you want to use one? It's not that they are slowing down your Mac.

OP
S

skater_boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It isn't my choice. I'm a third party tech and Corporate dictates the rules ie no VNC and no unauthorized app (yes I did ask and they say that only Apple Remote Desktop is approved). I was hoping that someone had created an app that was able to communicate via the Apple Remote Desktop protocols or Screen Share without the need to activate VNC. They also approve SSH but the command line is not my "forté".

I don't understand why Apple still hasn't released an iPad version of ARD.

Thanks anyways.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It would probably be painfully slow, but you could probably remote control a Mac that runs ARD and use it to control a corporate machine. Though I suspect they would frown on it if they knew.

Most reactions