What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mac laptop or ipad?

quin1000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I get an iPad can I retire my laptop? What isn't on iPad that my Mac laptop can do?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
quin1000 said:
If I get an iPad can I retire my laptop? What isn't on iPad that my Mac laptop can do?

Your Mac can store backups of your iPad, in case you ever have to erase all content and restore to factory condition. You can also use the backup to set up a new iPad when it becomes time to replace your current one. Another good reason to keep your laptop is if you have apps that are no longer available from the App Store. The only way to transfer them from one iDevice to another is through iTunes on your computer.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
quin1000 said:

That's actually a question for you to answer. Depends on what you are going to use the device for. For media consumption and stuff like that the iPad can easily replace the laptop. For more serious work, large documents, some games, etc, you wouldn't get the same experience on the iPad as the laptop. Doesn't mean you can't do things like that on the iPad but its a little more limited and lacks some features.

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not retire it but you will find yourself using it less and less. I did get the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and holder since the alternative on the screen for long posts (like this one) is to slow for me. I go weeks without turning on the laptop.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer is it depends.

It depends on who you are. Many can get by just fine with an iPad I instead of a laptop, but others cannot. I cannot. But I can use my iPad for a lot of stuff and so I do use my laptop less, but it will be a good many years before I can give up my computers. But that is ok.

If you find you don't need the laptop, then use the iPad. But it can't hurt to keep the laptop around as a backup for your iPad. You never know when you need a backup device.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
my ipad completely superceded my laptop in my private and semi pro life, but on a day to day bases, as a graphics designer and cgi visualiser, even my laptop doesnt cut the mustard. my ipad's awesome for a comms device and an admin centre, but not even worth considering for 'real' day to day production work in my instance.

but as mentioned, it depends on your useage - if all you want is to play games, view the web and listen/watch media, - have fun..... then yes, go on to replace your laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts