What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAC computer required to dev for iPad?

jychong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you need a mac to develop since Apple ties you into the XCode environment.

snoApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Native App versus Web App

I have a PC.
I have an iPad.
Must I also purchase a MAC to be able to develop apps for the IPad?

There are lots of advantages to developing a "native" App for the iPad, which gives you access to hardware features.

However, if you don't have a Mac, consider developing a web App. The browser on the iPad can run web Apps. If you know HTML and JavaScript, you can produce a web App that can run on the iPad, an iPhone, an Android and even my personal favourite, the Palm Prē.

A web App can be developed on your computer of choice, including your PC.

For more information:
Chapter 9. "Mobile Web Apps Versus Native Applications" in Mobile Design and Development by Brian Fling (O'Reilly / Safari).

"Developing for the iPhone OS: App Store vs. Web Apps" (if you're coding for the iPhone or iPad, you have to choose) by Ryan Faas in ComputerWorld.
Among other things, a web App can be made available on your terms, quickly, without submitting to Apple's App Store requirements.

NOTE: I'm a Newbie on this Forum, so I apparently can't post links. Try googling "web app versus native app". Let me know if you would like links to the above.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can develop apps for jailbroken devices using Linux/Windows/Mac and on the iDevice itself.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thats actualy something good, having one item take up the entire screen is a big waist of space. OSX will resize the window to the amount of space needed for that window and leave the rest of the space on the screen open for you to view other things. And with my dual monitors setup on it, its even better. Plenty of working space.

have a website open, xcode open, and then on the other monitor use interface builder and some other things.
This is one reason why I don't use a Mac as my main computer platform: being told what is best. I can make those decisions on my own.

I maximize windows for a variety of reasons, one of which is to maximize concentration with no distractions.

Michael
Well apparently Apple has decided full screen apps are NOT a waste of space. ROFL!!!

OSX 10.7 now has just that: full screen app mode.

Too funny.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts