What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of little questions!

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have accumulated a list of questions about my iPad... Any answers are appreciated :)

How do you arrange/name the photo albums?

Why does it say archive instead of delete in my gmail? What is archiving and how do you delete emails?

Why does it say "not charging" when plugged into the computer? Can you not charge an iPad with a computer?

Can you edit and add into the dictionary so it recognises your words? I'm getting sick of it correcting words that I've actually spelled correctly but it doesn't recognise... But I want to keep the spell check on cos its handy.

How do you make folders for your apps?

How do you name a document in the pages app?

What good keyboards are around - preferably Bluetooth - that are cheaper than buying an apple one? I know nothing about keyboards, so any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks!

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have accumulated a list of few answers for your questions....Any form of understanding will be appreciated :)

There is no arranging of your photo/photo albums but to make distinct albums you must put the photos in different folders and name of those folders will be your album name...say for example I have 5 awesome photos of my home and another 5 of my boss's villa,now if I want to keep them in different albums I make a folder named "big dude" and then put the boss's photos(villa) into "big dude" folder,then I create another named "awesome dude" and put my home photos into that folder. Now all I have to do is select the photos tab from iTunes when my iPad is connected to PC and select those folders to sync,now when perilous backup process is happening for all eternity and hopefully gets done before the judgement day, I just go to photos in my iPad,hit the album in the top bar and there we are Big Dude has villa and Awesome dude has awesome home photos.

I dont know how you are accessing your gmail but there is a trash bin image and the archive button,now if you want to delete the emails then hit the trash button,it's that simple. Now for the archive,it kind of keep away for forgetting later,when you archive an email,the email is removed from your inbox and goes to "All Emails" folder,so it won't be bugging you anymore but if you later need it then you can go to all emails folder and you can have it. Now if you are accessing the gmail from the Mails in iPad then yes there are no awesome "destroy 'em all" or trash icon,so what you do is select the message you want to remove, hit the "folder icon" with a down arrow in it,the first button from the left, beside the "box button" with a similar arrow in it, now you'll see all the folders in your gmail,as it says,just tap the "Trash" folder and there you are,that email will pain you no more,but make sure that the mail you selected is actually the one you wanted to remove/delete before hitting the folder icon.

Not charging means literally not charging,your USB as well as mine and many others' are of old age,so they can't provide enough power to charge,so the iPad gets power but can't charge. To charge the iPad connecting it to your PC,you must put it into the sleeping mode,that is hit the power button once and the screen will go black. But it is really not great as the charging takes longer and less effective.

For the dictionary you can add custom word by correcting a few times. Say for example I type iwhat but iPad started showing "what" in a white tab below the word,what i did was just hit the tab and completed typing iwhat,and from now on I will be hitting the white tab every time it appears for iwhat,and eventually iPad will get that iwhat is a new correct word and remember it bugging me no more with a correction. I am not sure how many hitting it requires but it does work. The best way is to complete the typing without bothering with the correction suggestion.

I don't know what form of folder you want to make,but if you want to keep all those irritating app icons from your home screen(iPad desktop) into a tidy little folder then you need ios4.2+,just hold onto any icon for a while to summon an iearthquake that will make the icons shake in their places,then drag one icon onto another and they will go into a folder. Then once everything is tidy enough and you are happy,just hit the home button(the tiny button on the iPad that closes the apps) to stop the iearthquake.P.S: oh yea!! you can summon an iearthquake in iPad,that felt good, but too bad you can't summon one in the real world.

I'm not sure about the pages app but it's supposed to be simple as saving the doc,and Pages will ask the name you want to save the document as.

Any Bluetooth keyboard will work with your iPad that can range from 10$ simple ones to 200USD multimedia ones with infinite number of buttons,but it must support Bluetooth 2.0 thingy which every keyboard does these days unless you find an ancient Bluetooth keyboard though. Make sure the buttons are soft enough and well spaced unless you want to get all sorts of wrist pains.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask and other awesome people here will help you as well once they get time.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
S

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks :) There was some form of understanding but also a little more confuddlement!

Okay so I have to arrange the photos on my computer first and then copy onto the iPad...?

With the gmail I'm going into the mail app that was on the iPad when I got it. I have discovered that there is a trash button when you're in "all mail" but when you're in the inbox it gets archived. I don't know where things go when they get archived!

Hmm well I cant seem to name pages documents they just get called untitled or whatever it is...

Perhaps I will get a keyboard, since I am having troubles with the onscreen one for a particular site. Its kind of annoying. I'm still not sure the iPad was a good choice. So many things you can't do on it.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unsure of your level of tech knowledge so it's a bit tough for me.

Photos must be arranged in your PC into folders and these folder names will be the album names. So once you have sorted photos in folders,you select these folders to sync to your iPad and you'll have albums.

About gmail,I believe you are a bit impatient so didn't read my first reply allover,else you'd know where archived mails go. I said already,just hit the 4th button from the right or the first button from the left,this button resembles a folder with an arrow.once you hit it,you can tap on the trash to delete the selected email. Archived mails just stay in gmail as long as you keep it in form of backup thingy,you can find any archived mail in "All Mails" folder.

And finally,yes iPad can't do so many things and yet it can do so many things. I believe you didn't research a bit before getting your iPad. iPad is an expensive device and whenever you are trying to buy an expensive or any kind of new device, research a bit and see if it can do everythng and a bit more that you need it to do,else keep your money and look for something else,because after you make an expensive purchase it's no use crying anyway. Never go with the hype,instead go with your need and necessity.

Thanks and sorry about the confusions :)

OP
S

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know what? I did read your answers but I found the confusing, hence the repeating myself. I'm sorry if that frustrates you.

I did research iPad for months before making the decision. I don't make decisions lightly. However I don't think you can know how everything is going to work for you on a device unless you have had the opportunity to try one out for a day or two. Particularly if you are not that 'techy'. And I'm not 'crying', I'm simply making a comment.

So please don't judge so fast.

Thank you for your answers.

OP
S

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you have any other questions you needed answered Mug?

Hi! Thanks for asking. I am going pretty okay with it at the moment. I still haven't worked out the answer to this question from above though:

"Can you edit and add into the dictionary so it recognises your words? I'm getting sick of it correcting words that I've actually spelled correctly but it doesn't recognise... But I want to keep the spell check on cos its handy."

But other than that all good :)

Thanks.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
As far as I know, the only way to, make new words recognizable is to click on the word as it appears above the keyboard. That will" save" it to your dictionary.

M

moparherb

Question

I have had my iPad for about three months now and when I first got it it recognized my location. Now it says it cannot find my location. I have a wi- fi model only and about the only thing that has changed, besides a few apps, is that I enabled Mobile Me. I guess it is not a huge issue but I'm just wondering what happened. Thanks for any time spent with me on this issue.

OP
S

Supreme.Mugwump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad for about three months now and when I first got it it recognized my location. Now it says it cannot find my location. I have a wi- fi model only and about the only thing that has changed, besides a few apps, is that I enabled Mobile Me. I guess it is not a huge issue but I'm just wondering what happened. Thanks for any time spent with me on this issue.

I can't help you with that... But you might want to put the question in a new thread so that people will notice it.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Umm... I believe that you somehow managed to turnoff the location service in the settings. When off you won't be able to get a location. But then again I might be wrong. I suggest you check for it. All you have to do is follow this steps:
1. Go to settings of iPad using the "Settings" icon
2. Click the "General"
3. Look for an item named "Location Services"
3. If you are on iOS 4.2+ then just click on the name "Location Services" and once there if you find the gray button saying "Off" then touch it once to turn on the location service

Or

3. If you are on iOS3.2+ then just hit the gray button of the location service if it's saying off.

Once the location service is on,you will be able to get coordinates and location again.

Hope that helps.

Thanks and good luck :)

ILife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I can help with the find my IPAD...

Are you using APPLE's find my iphone? I have a wi-fi model and the same thing happened to me. It was off by a block. When I went to my Apple store, I asked about it and they they said that the App is not run on a gps system so it might not get every street. But that it will get you close. If you still have problems that we can't answer here, or you if need a quicker answer, you can always go to your local apple store and ask anyone there or call them on the phone. :)

Most reactions