What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost iTunes on computers; only iTunes on my iPad2

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave my laptops, the only ones with my iTunes collections, to an IT firm so I could use them as business laptops also.
They did not tell me they would wipe iTunes off both so I also did not get time to deauthorize them.
Currently I have nothing with the complete collection of apps, tv shows, etc.
Can someone tell me how to get it back and also deal with Apple to get me to the proper number of authorized devices?
All help is appreciated.
RAM

PadMan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think that if you install itunes in another computer with your ID and password you should have all your info. Could be wrong but makes sense. authorize the new computer.

OzLing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
STOP!!! Don't do what PadMan2 suggests.

If you install iTunes on a new PC, and authorize it, upon first syncing, it will ask if you want to update the iPad with the current computer's library. Given that this library is new, it will remove all apps/games etc from your iPad. That was how I lost all my daughter's stuff on her iPad. The apps can be reinstalled, but not the data that are associated with the apps.

Back the entire lot to iCloud first, then sync with the new iTunes, and restore the lost info from iCloud.

PadMan2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you start a new itunes and plug in your ipad, go to your name and right click transfer all your purchases from your ipad. all on your ipad should transfer to your itunes acct.
Make sure you turn off auto-sync. This will prevent syncing until you are ready.

Last edited:
OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So which is it guys?
PadMan2's last suggestion - WILL IT WORK?
Sorry to be such a newbie.
Thanks,
RAM

OzLing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The second suggestion will work. When you first sync iTunes to the iPad, the default is to overwrite everything on the iPad with what's on your PC.

You turn off auto-sync on the iTunes on the new computer. That way, nothing gets removed or added.

When your iTunes has been set up to what you want - all apps and files etc - then you can sync automatically. ie Set up iTunes on the PC, get all the apps, and update your library with your music, photos etc before enabling auto-sync.

DO A BACKUP TO iCloud ON YOUR iPad FIRST before syncing just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Most reactions