What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lost id and password

marionholt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received a iPad from a person did not know what their ID and password was. When I go to the update and restore function on iTunes and select restore. restore and update is the only choice that comes up. but once it is finished it only updated the software, is that feature supposed to still ask me for the ID and password which I do not have.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I received a iPad from a person did not know what their ID and password was. When I go to the update and restore function on iTunes and select restore. restore and update is the only choice that comes up. but once it is finished it only updated the software, is that feature supposed to still ask me for the ID and password which I do not have.
Yes it is. The previous owner did not properly erase the iPad before it came into your possession. It is still connected to his iCloud account. What you are experiencing is called iCloud Activation Lock. It's a security feature meant to stop stolen iPads from being activated and used by the thief. Unfortunately there is no way to bypass this activation lock. Unless you can get the former owner to remove the device from his iCloud account, the iPad will be little more than a brick.

John903

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to contact the person who use the iPad before to solve the problem.

Most reactions