What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost Gmail Contacts on iPad 2 OS 5

andrewdcroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have very little iPad experience and do not own an iPad.

I am trying to help a friend with her new iPad 2, which she insisted I go with her to purchase.

She deleted all her unwanted emails (she uses Google Mail) and then went to the Trash folder and deleted everything in Trash. When she returned to her other folders, all her emails had disappeared. What happened and how do you (or can you) recover the lost emails?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is she using the iPad's Mail app, the dedicated Gmail app or webmail? It will also depend upon whether she's using the POP or IMAP protocols for receiving email. Let us know a bit more information and I'm sure we'll be able to help.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have very little iPad experience and do not own an iPad.

I am trying to help a friend with her new iPad 2, which she insisted I go with her to purchase.

She deleted all her unwanted emails (she uses Google Mail) and then went to the Trash folder and deleted everything in Trash. When she returned to her other folders, all her emails had disappeared. What happened and how do you (or can you) recover the lost emails?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
A

andrewdcroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
She is using the Gmail app that came with the iPad. She has a POP account with a different ISP. At her request I set up her Gmail account to transfer her POP mail messages to Gmail, but to leave them on her ISP server. She is not using iCloud.

I use Gmail but have no iPad to try different setups, and virtually no experience with the iPad. So any tests I do are done on her iPad.

I followed her process to delete unwanted emails, and came to the conclusion that she should be very wary of deleting any trash from Gmail. However I was not able to duplicate what she said had happened. As far as I know items resident in trash for more than 30 days are deleted from trash by Google. I have also turned on the warn of delete option in settings.

She has not lost any critical information, as it is still resident on her POP account with her local ISP. But what she said happened was that she deleted unwanted emails by sending them to trash, and then deleted everything in her trash folder. When she went back to her mailboxes expecting to find her undeleted emails all her folders were empty.

The main purpose of buying her iPad is to use it for email communication while she is on an extended trip. Unfortunately, her ISP webmail does not work well with Safari. That is why I set up a Gmail account for her.

Her next extended trip starts in January, 2012. I would like to know if anything like this has happened on an iPad 2 OS 5. Can she recover anything if this happens while she is travelling? I am reluctant to have Google remove her emails from her ISP's server unless I can find out what happened and how to correct it. However when she returns to her access to her home computer, her ISP inbox will be jammed with useless, previously read emails.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andrewdcroll said:
She is using the Gmail app that came with the iPad.

Welcome to ipf,

Are you saying that it is the actual gmail app or is it the mail app(envelope on blue sky)?

I hope you find this forum as informative and addictive as I do!
You will find that there are many members with a great knowledge base, waiting to help you with any issue you might have.

# Don't forget to use the search function, as there is a lot of issues already resolved here.
# If you haven't already, download the user manual for free at: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
# Also, feel free to have a look at this thread, it gives great tips and tricks for new users: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
# Ensure you take time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules at: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Now that you are here you will never want to leave, so have the time of your life. :)

Regards,
Chays

OP
A

andrewdcroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Chays,

Don't know exactly what you mean. First I set up a Gmail account on a computer. I chose this because I use Gmail myself, and because I could consolidate her contacts from her ISP (she has three email accounts with her ISP) and could easily remove duplicates, of which there were many between the three accounts. I made copies on her new Gmail space of any emails received on her three ISP POP accounts

I set the Gmail up by going to the internal Mail app, got a list of possible email clients, Yahoo, Gmail etc. and entered the new Gmail account information, and then synced her Gmail contacts with the iPad contacts.

Seems to work well. But I don't know how she lost all her email information on her iPad when the transferred her read emails to Trash and then deleted the Trash emails. I couldn't duplicate the problem when I tried.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already found the search function very useful, I have downloaded the OS 5 user manual, I looked at the Tips and Tricks thread and the FAQs but couldn't find any answers. I'll have another look at the Forum rules, although I have already had a quick look.

Hope this answers your questions.

Andrew

Most reactions