What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost all my emails after ios 5 install.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For simplicity we'll say I'm working with one email account. This account is used on multiple devices and each device will use the messages differently. The computer generally keeps all email messages, but the iDevices will keep some and delete others. I need the freedom to pick and choose what email is kept on each device and I don't want one device's email messages to sync with another's, using the same email account.
Okay, if that's working for you stick with it! :)

MaggieSue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to change what setting?
I have now gone through all 7 pages of postings & realize that I'm out of luck with the emails. Did my complaining to Apple, & will see where it goes from there. The setting question was for how many emails are visible on the iPad. Sorry to be a bother guess I'm too new to this.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MaggieSue said:
I have now gone through all 7 pages of postings & realize that I'm out of luck with the emails. Did my complaining to Apple, & will see where it goes from there. The setting question was for how many emails are visible on the iPad. Sorry to be a bother guess I'm too new to this.

Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calanders>Show.....this gives you various options from 50 to 1000.

The Archangel

Nospam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, same here, especially when travelling, and when wifi or 3G is not reliably available (typically driving round the west of Ireland). Having my current list of key contact emails and to do emails available offline on the iPad has been a lifesaver. I archive everything worth keeping at home on the PC in folders. I do keep sync with the webmail server to delete (archive) when I delete from the iPad while away though. Then the PC only downloads relevant items when I get back. I can imagine other kinds of individual flexibility.

I still have the same question I had the beginning, is there any way at all (not one suggestion yet) to back up the mail content of the Mail application on the iPad? If not, any idea why not? If yes, how?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have the same question I had the beginning, is there any way at all (not one suggestion yet) to back up the mail content of the Mail application on the iPad? If not, any idea why not? If yes, how?
iOS backups include mail settings but not the actual messages. More here:

iTunes: About iOS backups

AFAIK there is no way to backup anything else including email messages separately. You'd have to ask Apple why not. I'd guess for a couple of reasons, to keep backup time and files to a reasonable level (email messages data may not be large, but attachments, etc. could be problematic). Secondly I'd guess that for a majority of users the iPad is not their primary mail program.

This is another reason why IMAP is a much better option for managing email than POP3 (particularly if the iPad is the primary email management program). IMAP allows email to be stored and accessed on mail servers until such time (based on your settings) that it is deleted by the account owner.

McPc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I did a Google search for iPad backup and turned up 2 companies that claim to back up all data including emails. I won't post them here since it may be against forum rules. However the companies don't seem to have a real name and seem a bit shady and suspect to me.

Doing a WHOIS search on the domain names I found further make me wonder about them. The program files pass both AV and Malware scans but I still have a confidence problem with installing it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts