What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loss of LTE after IOS 6.1 update

stevo8523

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I installed the latest version 6.1 on my 3rd gen ipad my LTE drops off to 3G in areas where an LTE signal is strong. Updated my iPhone 5 as well but my iPhone works fine. Any suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad 3 seems to be doing the same thing; though I can't test it much since the nearest LTE is 30 miles away.

I noticed that there was a cellular update for the iPhone 5 pushed out shortly after the 6.1 update; probably by Verizon. I have not seen a similar update pushed for the iPad 3, and am inclined to blame the problem on that rather than the 6.1 update.

Cellular updates tell your device which towers provide which services, and other stuff.

I don't know of any way to force an update, and if it does not correct itself in a few days I'll probably contact Verizon.

Edit: Found this link on Apple support.

iOS: Updating your carrier settings

Tried both methods and did not get a cellular update; so either my theory is bogus (very possible), or Verizon has not pushed an update for the iPad. Tried it on the iPhone too, just for good measure; though I definitely remember seeing the update come automatically, as the article says it might.

Last edited:
OP
stevo8523

stevo8523

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have Verizon as my carrier. My Ipad just dropped to 3G and my iPhone is still has a strong LTE signal. It must be Verizon.

owlmonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. After a couple hours on the phone with both apple and verizon, in my case the resolution was to reset to factory settings everything. Then my ipad could see LTE again. But if I then accept the "Carrier settings update" that is suggested, the device immediately drops back down to 3G.

The dialog in question says "An update to the carrier settings for your iPad is available. Would you like to install it now?"
Instead of going ahead with that, select Cancel.

Then setup the ipad as a "New" device instead of restoring from backup. At least that's what I did. I just setup syncing again. But I also didn't have anything precious that I needed restored from backup.

After that I happily have LTE again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

It seems the carrier update is the problem. If that's the case I'll wait for the next update. Restoring my iPad would be a major pain, especially just to get back LTE for the few times a month I'm in range of the service. I can always use the iPhone as a hotspot if needed.

Still, I hope Verizon gets a new update out soon. It's annoying.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I also have Verizon as my carrier. My Ipad just dropped to 3G and my iPhone is still has a strong LTE signal. It must be Verizon.

I installed the iOS 6.1.2 update this afternoon, then visited the places I was having trouble. My LTE connection was back and stable.

The update might have nothing to do with it, but unless you have a reason to avoid the update, then give a try and test your LTE again. Assuming you haven't already solved the problem, of course.

Jan49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded my iPad 3 to the latest OS I have trouble receiving LTE also. Called my Verizon rep and he suggested the reset which i did but didn't work. Glad to know it's them. I figured it was an update issue.

owlmonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Followup. After not updating my carrier settings when connected to iTunes - and keeping my LTE as a result - then later my ipad updated carrier settings automatically over the air when I was not connected to iTunes. And my LTE continued to function. So it seemed for me at least to relate to updating carrier settings through iTunes (repeatable twice at least) but when the carrier settings updated automatically outside of iTunes it was fine. In my example of the issue at least.

Webheadfred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings folks.... I have a 64gb iPad 3 on Verizon and I noticed this too. I always turn off cellular data when at home and when i would get to work, wifi off, cellular on. As long as I didn't 'use' the LTE by surfing or what have you, the LTE would stay. As soon as I started surfing, I noticed the little ° symbol and then 3G. I timed it and it seemed like two minutes. My iPhone 5 on 6.1.2 was solid LTE. Here's what I did, and I was able to replicate it.

When it switched, I pressed the 'Sleep' and the 'Home' button and held them until the device powered off. This took about 10 seconds. When I powered on, it would connect to LTE and has stayed for the past three days. While searching this issue, I read somewhere where you could reset subscriber settings. I did that and the problem reappeared. I did my two finger salute and its back to 'normal'. I've several times turned off cellular via settings and then back on, and it's solid LTE.

iOS 6.1.2
Verizon
64gb
iPad 3

Hope this helps someone else.

OP
stevo8523

stevo8523

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it switched, I pressed the 'Sleep' and the 'Home' button and held them until the device powered off. This took about 10 seconds. When I powered on, it would connect to LTE and has stayed for the past three days. While searching this issue, I read somewhere where you could reset subscriber settings. I did that and the problem reappeared. I did my two finger salute and its back to 'normal'. I've several times turned off cellular via settings and then back on, and it's solid LTE.

iOS 6.1.2
Verizon
64gb
iPad 3

Hope this helps someone else.

Your solution seems to have worked! Have had LTE solid for 30 min so far. I'll check back in later to see if it still works.

Most reactions

Latest posts