What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Wifi connection

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In A Nutshell

There are a fair few threads regarding iPad wifi drop out.

The problem has to be backwards engineered if a solution is to be found. Which I don't know how to perfectly do. But I do have a theory.....

I do know the only constant in all these complaints is the iPad. Ipad hardwares are the same for every single model. Even the various versions of the iOS don't differ in this respect. So the different item here, the 'spanner in the works', must be the wifi router of the user. this is the only item that changes from user to user and why there's issues.

I've always had perfect wifi reception likely, but in work it can sometimes be dodgy at best. Same for all other fellow employees with their devices. We know this is a wifi router issues.

Don't assume that your router is flawless just because it works on other devices. Or just because it's yours ;)

Apple can't cater perfectly for making a perfect wifi connection with every router. Each and every router follow standards, but there is no set 'must', so components in each manufacturer's routers differ, meaning Apple can only please most of the people most of the time with their divice's wifi equipment. You've either got the right router or you haven't. My last 'cheaper' router was great for my iPod touch, but iffy with my smart phone. I now have a new connection and router and all works perfect. Put my old router back in the mix and it's dodgy again. Try various router security configurations ;)

That's my theory anyway :p

Your theory is spot on. I was using a Dlink router which has (in no particular order) My TV, Blue Ray DTS system, PVR and PC all wired connections.

A re-boot would restore connectivity to wireless devices... (laptop, Ipad and mobile phone) Purchased a netgear high gain modem / router combo, and have had no problems since. It's all down to the signal strength. Also, if you live in an area where your wireless devices can see many other networks, the one with the strongets signal is often the cause of the issue. Router modem combos are cheap, and it certainly solved my problems!

jonof16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello folks! Thanks for the info about resetting the router. I did it and my iPad hasn't dropped off line yet (for several hours).

I hope my connectivity problems are a thing of the past.

You all have a great day!

Jono
Colorado

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I notice one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is wifi signal enhancement.

I replaced the very little antenna that came with my router with a 7dbi indoor omni-directional antenna, which is supplied with a 1.5 m extension cable, allowing a much better placement of the antenna together with a greater received signal strength throughout the extended service area.

I would suggest that you must be sure that your wifi security is enhanced otherwise everybody in the local neighborhood will be hooking into your improved wifi AP.

Additionally while home I generally hook up to wifi in airplane mode, which seems to focus and concentrate the iPad's mind on the job at hand.

I hope this adds to the discussion of possible solutions.

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Your avatar is bothering me. :)

Grayson. I think it's cute!

Thank you
Vintage 90, you are saying if there is another strong network near it could be causing the problem?
I ask because while my iPad is saying it's connected ( check mark beside the network) it also has the " searching for network" and spinning icon.
On my desktop and phone I can see there are several networks at my home that are pretty strong. They are neighbors networks and are secure and I have turned my guest network off since it was so strong. Maybe they are causing the iPad to get confused? I can't do anything about it while out and about but if the local places have more than 1 network going?
Is there a way to force the iPad to use G instead of N?

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Last edited:

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi Settings

Your avatar is bothering me. :)

Grayson. I think it's cute!

Thank you
Vintage 90, you are saying if there is another strong network near it could be causing the problem?
I ask because while my iPad is saying it's connected ( check mark beside the network) it also has the " searching for network" and spinning icon.
On my desktop and phone I can see there are several networks at my home that are pretty strong. They are neighbors networks and are secure and I have turned my guest network off since it was so strong. Maybe they are causing the iPad to get confused? I can't do anything about it while out and about but if the local places have more than 1 network going?
Is there a way to force the iPad to use G instead of N?

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Try this: Go to settings, wifi, and look for the box marked "Ask to join other networks" Turning this off should stop your ipad showing all the other wifi connections. If you are out and about you will have to re-enable it to use other wifi hotspots

:)

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe there are many threads on the IPF, so I will not start a new one. As many IPad users I have problems as well. Whenever I do not use the Internet on the Ipad for a few minutes it disconnects. I changed my router (for other reasons) and the problem disappeared for a while. I removed the cover, with magnet for the sleep function, but this did not help either. I changed the channels in my router, used n connection only on the router, changed security, changed band from 40 to 20 Mhz, etc. etc. Nothing worked. I am still looking, but found an article, which could be interesting for some of your.

iOS 4.1 - 4.3.3 Allows DHCP Lease to Expire, Keeps Using IP Address

Workaround for "iOS 4.1 - 4.3.3 Allows DHCP Lease to Expire, Keeps Using IP Address" Bug

I have done the suggestions in the workaround and will see if there are improvements when I come home. Please let me know your findings if you try this as well.

Regards,

Jan

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts