What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing contacts when adding new

Oregontt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this is fixed with IOS 5 and the Cloud. I've been dealing with this issue for months. Even made apple give me a new ipad2 (had the ipad 2 already) And this problem is still happening. I do have 1,000 + contacts. How can I get all my contacts imported into say a google account when i don't have a google account? Do I just need to export as a CSV file?

Thank you and this is the most frustrating problem ever!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Either get the Google account (it is free) and sync with it, or wait another day, update to iOS 5, get your iCloud account and sync with that (also free)

They may or may not have fixed whatever bug is causing large Contact databases to die, but even if they have keeping your contacts in one easily destroyed or lost place is not wise.

Kjweede

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the contact exporter? I have updated to iOS5 but I need steps to follow on how to backup my contacts. I sync using a PC and Windows Live Mail so I have a CSV file and it is hard to retrieve my contacts every time I lose them

Kjweede

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to download the new operating system through iTunes last night and lost everything on my iPad2. The message on the PC screen stated "iPad could not be restored. Unknown error occurred." Now what do I do? My contacts on Win Live aren't synced through iTunes and those are only a small portion of what I have lost.

My iPad2 screen shows a picuture of a USB connection and an arrow pointing to the iTunes icon.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Connect your iPad to to iTunes again. It should think it's a new iPad and offer to set it up. Somewhere in the setup process it should ask you if you want to restore from a backup. Try that. If it does not offer it, then when the setup is finished right click on the iPad under the Devices list and select Restore from Backup.

Unless you have your contacts saved somewhere else this is your only chance to recover them.

If restoring from backup does not work (and given your problem it may not) you'll have to start over as if you had a new iPad. Be sure it has iOS 5 on it before try putting it back in order. After all, you have very little to lose at this point, so you might as well press on until you have the update.

When doing the update I heavily recommend using the Download Only option. Breaking things into two steps seems to reduce the likely hood of problems.

Kjweede

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have lost all of my contacts when adding a new one manually. The first time was after I added several new contatcts and the second time was after adding one. I use Windows Live Mail and have had to call Apple and it has taken over an hour to get my contacts back on my iPad2 each time. I have been told to you a CSV file.

However, this week I tried to download iOS5 to my iPAD through iTunes and lost everything on the iPAD. I only have the picture of a USB connection and the iTunes icon appearing on my iPAD. When I try to sync again, this message appears: " iTunes has detected iPAD in recovery mode. You must restore before it can be used with iTunes." My daughter has a friend who lost everything on her iPhone and iPad when she tried to update to the new system. What gives?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the Hacking section there is a sticky thread about DFU mode. It should tell you how to get back out of recover mode, then you can try restoring from backup. I have no experience with this mode, so I'm not even going to try and tell you how to deal with it.

Oregontt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a contact exporter app on your iPad. Use google, find a good one, read the reviews, count the stars, I think it's free. Then you can print out and import the file into your contacts in your computer.

Or use iCloud

Most reactions

Latest posts