What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for an app

Scott V

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. Thought you all could help me. I'm going back to school and am in need of a .pdf/.ppt reading app. I'm looking for an app that I can download my lecture notes on to that will not only read pdf and ppt (or pptx) files, but where I would also have the ability to scribble some notes (most likely using a stylus) on slides or pages and have those notes saved on those slides/pages for later review. I'm posting in this forum because my iPad is a Gen 1, however if there is a more appropriate place for it then mods please move it. Either way, if anyone knows of a free, or cheap ($5 or less) app that can accomplish this please let me know!

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to iPF. Among all apps that I know, there isn't any app that can accomplish all these needs together. However, there are different apps which will allow you to do the job.

KEYNOTE : This is Apple's original app similar to MS Powerpoint, but it requires a $9.99 purchase which I think you would not make. I am providing the address to the app store, but there are other free alternatives listed below. It can also open .ppt/pptx files.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id361285480?mt=8

Powerpoint : This is a recently launched app for iOS devices for free which can open ppt or pptx files. It also has a feature of syncing presentations through OneDrive(SkyDrive). So, if you have any documents stored on some other device, you can easily sync it with an account. Here are the App store addresses for both PowerPoint and OneDrive.

POWERPOINT : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-powerpoint-for-ipad/id586449534?mt=8
ONEDRIVE : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onedrive-formerly-skydrive/id477537958?mt=8

Notability : Notability is one of the best note taking apps for 'scribbling' things. It is available for a $4.99 purchase. It has a wide range of useful features which could be utilized. It includes scribbling, voice recording, and even recording how you write your notes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8

Adobe Reader : Can open, make, edit PDF files.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-reader/id469337564?mt=8

Hope you find some of the apps useful.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest way to annotate ppt files is to convert them to PDF first, and then use one of the many PDF annotation apps available. Many of the student members here recommend Notability. I like PDF Expert, but my use is more casual and not related to study; or at least not often.

Apple's Keynote software will import most ppt files, and can export as PDF. If you've purchased your iPad recently (iPad Air or the new iPad Mini with Retina) then Keynote should be free.

You can also use specialize apps like PDF Converter for this.

The new MS Excel app does not appear to have a PDF export option; though I could be wrong. They just added Print ability, and I don't understand why they would not include a PDF export option.

Hold in mind that the MS Office apps for the iPad are read only unless you have an Office 365 subscription.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest way to annotate ppt files is to convert them to PDF first, and then use one of the many PDF annotation apps available. Many of the student members here recommend Notability. I like PDF Expert, but my use is more casual and not related to study; or at least not often.

Apple's Keynote software will import most ppt files, and can export as PDF. If you've purchased your iPad recently (iPad Air or the new iPad Mini with Retina) then Keynote should be free.

You can also use specialize apps like PDF Converter for this.

The new MS Powerpoint app does not appear to have a PDF export option; though I could be wrong. They just added Print ability, and I don't understand why they would not include a PDF export option.

Hold in mind that the MS Office apps for the iPad are read only unless you have an Office 365 subscription.

As mentioned by the OP, its an iPad 1st Gen, so theres no chance of a free Keynote purchase.

You need not have an MS 365 account for using MS Office for iOS. Theres also an option on the subscription page to skip that.

Warren9981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look at Goodreader.
It will open PDFs, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, MS Excel, and a heap of others, and will allow you to edit or annotate most of these file types.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have a look at Goodreader.
It will open PDFs, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, MS Excel, and a heap of others, and will allow you to edit or annotate most of these file types.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to say only PDF and TXT files can be edited on Goodreader. Other mentioned types can only be opened and read.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As mentioned by the OP, its an iPad 1st Gen, so theres no chance of a free Keynote purchase.

Sorry, missed that. It's going to make any solution a great deal harder, as almost all the current crop of apps have abandoned iOS 5.x compatibility.

You need not have an MS 365 account for using MS Office for iOS. Theres also an option on the subscription page to skip that.

I suspect we are talking about different products. The new iPad apps (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint) all require an Office 365 subscription to create or edit documents. They will read documents for for free.

There is a free Microsoft Office Mobile app for the iPhone, and it will probably work on the iPad, but it has a 'very' limited feature set when compared with the iPad apps. It can be used with a free Microsoft account, if it is not for business.

None of which matters, since all the mentioned apps are incompatible with the iPad 1 and iOS 5.1.1.

At least that is how it is in the U.S. It's possible the rules are different in other countries.

Most reactions