What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back on topic... Do you guys really feel like pages is decent enough? I know it depends on what you're going to use it for. I will be attempting to get a new job but taking a trip to Hawaii right before. I may have to do some document (resume) editing on the go and the iPad 2 is all I have. I'm sure it will be better than nothing.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back on topic... Do you guys really feel like pages is decent enough? I know it depends on what you're going to use it for. I will be attempting to get a new job but taking a trip to Hawaii right before. I may have to do some document (resume) editing on the go and the iPad 2 is all I have. I'm sure it will be better than nothing.

Have a look at Apple's iPad iWorks Help website - it gives a fairly good indication of what Pages (and the other iWorks apps) can do. It's a fine app for basic Office (MS Word) work. If your document is very complex then Pages can struggle, but I've found that any document prepared with Pages is 100% compatible with the PC version of Word. If you're importing a Word document into Pages then, as I suggested, complex formatting can cause problems and, yes, there are some bizarre omissions and for each of these omissions some equally bizarre workarounds!!

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

Tim
Scotland

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thanks very much for the information Tim. I will be doing light editing. I guess what I will likely run into is having to download files from email, perhaps employment screening (if all goes well) or that type of thing. I also may need to send documents but I have scanning software on my Droid x and I think the x can generally fill the gaps. In all reality I likely sold my netbook just a few months too early.

Jim Clark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problems with Pages app

Since the upgrade to ios5, my pages app has gotten practically unusable. Slow to open -20 seconds or more, a file
May be highlit but opens 10-20 seconds later, OR freezes altogether OR throws me back to my desktop etc etc.

Sorry about the rant, but I needed to vent. After trying everything I could think of, I went to the Apple store where
They did a complete restore. It took a whole day to finish bringing everything back. It's a lot faster now. But it's still often freezing and/or cutting back to the desktop when I cut and paste in a file.

Has anyone here had similar problems, and made Pages once more workable? Pages was so nearly perfect for what I do I hate to change, but I'm open to suggestions. Pages price was nice, but I write a lot and am desperate to get
back to my routine.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Clark said:
Since the upgrade to ios5, my pages app has gotten practically unusable. Slow to open -20 seconds or more, a file
May be highlit but opens 10-20 seconds later, OR freezes altogether OR throws me back to my desktop etc etc.

Sorry about the rant, but I needed to vent. After trying everything I could think of, I went to the Apple store where
They did a complete restore. It took a whole day to finish bringing everything back. It's a lot faster now. But it's still often freezing and/or cutting back to the desktop when I cut and paste in a file.

Has anyone here had similar problems, and made Pages once more workable? Pages was so nearly perfect for what I do I hate to change, but I'm open to suggestions. Pages price was nice, but I write a lot and am desperate to get
back to my routine.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Can you tell us which iPad you have and what OS you are on. Look for version in Settings - General - About

Jim Clark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Can you tell us which iPad you have and what OS you are on. Look for version in Settings - General - About

Thanks for your response!

I have the original iPad, version 5.1.1 (9B206). (That is IOS 5.1, right?)

The Pages app is version 1.6, installed in March of this year.

When I said that after the restore it was a lot faster, that lasted less than a day.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Clark said:
Thanks for your response!

I have the original iPad, version 5.1.1 (9B206). (That is IOS 5.1, right?)

The Pages app is version 1.6, installed in March of this year.

When I said that after the restore it was a lot faster, that lasted less than a day.

I feel this is happening because of a lack of ram. The iPad 1 has 256mb of ram, the ipad2 has 512mb and the new iPad has 1gb but there are steps you can do to alleviate this problem. Limit your location services to only the apps you are using at the time, you can turn these on and off at will. Go to Settings - Safari and clear your History and Cookies and Data, before you do, go down and hit the Advanced tab then Website Data and Show All Sites, this is every site you have been to and as you can see they all save little bits of ram which can add up to a lot, so clear that History and Cookies. Websites which have a lot of graphics can use a lot of ram, so when you're finished with a site, close it to free the ram.

Limiting your apps that are left open will also help here, from the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, close all these apps, now press the home button or just touch your screen to return to your normal screen. Limit the number of apps you have running at any time, certain apps will use more ram than others, gaming apps with lots of graphics and video apps are big users.

Apps are only getting bigger nowadays with new technology releases and this is why older technology starts to suffer as it can't cope with the advancements. Once you've done all that, it would be a good idea to now restart your iPad. Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well.

And lastly, it's a good idea to reset your iPad occasionally, this will not change anything on your iPad and is akin to rebooting a PC. Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

All of these steps will help keep your ipad in good running order, its a little housekeeping. You may even find your ipad a little more responsive now. Do all these steps and let us know how you go. Good luck!

jennlk79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow.. page 2 and you are just now getting answers to your question. if there's a free app that does the same thing as pages, why would you want to pay for it? i came on here looking for the same answer. i mean if there's nothing as good as pages that's fine, but can we not attack and degrade someone without knowing anything about them?! anyway.. after getting past all the smart-a comments, i think i will​ get pages. THANKS ​iwhat!!

fedup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey iwhat, I know this thread is years old, but kudos to you for keeping your cool. Just reading through this made me see red. How dare people judge and accuse YOU of having a chip on your shoulder when they're flaming you, telling you how you should use your iPad and how you should spend your money. And then they get all PC when you say you're from Bangledesh, like if you're not from the West then it's ok to try and pinch your pennies, but if you ARE from the West then you have no reason to NOT buy every single app out there.

fedup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi jennlk79. I created an account just to rant about all these punks who think $10 is chump change and who couldn't get to the point and just answer the guys question.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys and girls, lets keep this in perspective.

Firstly, when this thread first started there were not the number of apps available as there are now......so whilst some of the answers may sound harsh I don't believe that they were intended that way. Secondly, most of those folks that you are ranting about are no longer active members and finally, we don't need to start digging up old threads just to rant......so, thank you for your opinions on this but this thread is now closed.

The Archangel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts