What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on transferring iTunes library to iPad2

Eric88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a new member here, but lurked for a few weeks before I registered. This is a great forum and I look forward to contributing!

Here's my problem statement that I've tried to solve unsuccessfully. I have an old PC that has been my iTunes station for probably 6 or 7 years. This is becoming at risk as the PC is slowing down and I really want to get all that media out of the PC and port it over to make my iPad2 the hub. I tried a couple of times last year to take a back-up of iTunes Library into an external hard drive and then transfer to my Macbook Pro, but this never worked correctly. Possibly due to user error on my part. :)

I'm willing to buy an "app" for such a thing if it exists and my google searches have not really helped me lately.

Does anyone have a solution to suggest for me? Alternatively, should I be trying to move this library somewhere besides my iPad2?

Thanks,
Eric

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the kind of application that you are looking for. It is for the iPhone but may work for the iPad as well. You may want to investigate further.

MemeCode - PhoneAble

I see that this application is somewhat dated and does not work with the latest version of iTunes. You may want to contact the developer to see if an update is available and one for the iPad.

Last edited:

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a new member here, but lurked for a few weeks before I registered. This is a great forum and I look forward to contributing!

Here's my problem statement that I've tried to solve unsuccessfully. I have an old PC that has been my iTunes station for probably 6 or 7 years. This is becoming at risk as the PC is slowing down and I really want to get all that media out of the PC and port it over to make my iPad2 the hub. I tried a couple of times last year to take a back-up of iTunes Library into an external hard drive and then transfer to my Macbook Pro, but this never worked correctly. Possibly due to user error on my part. :)

I'm willing to buy an "app" for such a thing if it exists and my google searches have not really helped me lately.

Does anyone have a solution to suggest for me? Alternatively, should I be trying to move this library somewhere besides my iPad2?

Thanks,
Eric

Just to let you know I changed from being a Windows User to being a Mac User and I have sucessfully taken my whole collection with me.

Just copy the whole Itunes directory from your Windows/user/my music folder to an external hard drive.

Then Copy it to your user/Music directory on your Macbook pro.
The library file that windows uses is the same as what the mac uses but without the file extension so the Windows version = "itunes library.itl" just needs the .itl removing and then itunes on the mac will find all your stuff.

Most reactions

Latest posts