What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a video streaming fix

jarnold231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all -

My first post - hope I've put this in the right place.

I'm looking to stream .avi files from my Mac to my iPad 3. I understand this is quite easy when they're on the same wifi network, but I want to be able to stream these files when I'm out and about on a separate internet connection.

I've tried a number of different apps like Polcast, which is brilliant, very easy to set up and gives access to all my files. Unfortunately it doesn't play .avi and it also prefers to download files rather than just stream them which clogs up the storage on the iPad

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
jarnold231

harlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple doesn't seem to like *.avi files, so to get them into the iPad it is best to convert them using smart converter (free) this will allow you to covert to iPad,iPhone etc and puts the converted file straight into iTunes then sync iTunes to your iPad and there you have it.

OP
J

jarnold231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, but it doesn't really help to be honest.

I understand that Apple doesn't like .avi files, but thats what I've got all my media stored as - have been backing up my movies and own camera recordings to .avi files for years - I really dont want to have to convert them all to .mp4 files which will not only take ages but use up between 2x/3x more storage.

Also it misses the point about having a service to stream the content to the iPad - Polkast works well, but only for .mp4 files and it also have the annoying propensity to download the file and take up storage on the iPad.

What I want to do is have the ability to stream .avi content from my mac at home to the iPad.

Thanks,
J

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air video will work, if your router supports upnp then air video will automatically set up port forwarding, otherwise you will have to do it manually. It plays avi by using live conversion, check it out.

Also there is AirPlay it streaming thats free but seems to do the same.

Failing that have you thought about using splashtop?

OP
J

jarnold231

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there - thank you for your response.

I've installed Air Video and got it set up with some port-forwarding and its working well. Thank you very much. Also going to investigate Spashtop as it might allow me to leave the laptop at home instead of lugging it into work every day.

Thanks again.

Regards,
J

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jarnold231 said:
Hi there - thank you for your response.

I've installed Air Video and got it set up with some port-forwarding and its working well. Thank you very much. Also going to investigate Spashtop as it might allow me to leave the laptop at home instead of lugging it into work every day.

Thanks again.

Regards,
J

No worries I've not used it myself but I'm glad you've got it sorted. Splashtop is a very good remote desktop app, you probably would have even been able to watch your videos using that!

mikebo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think Splashtop allows audio and video streaming on a Mac, just the PC.

Most reactions

Latest posts