What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a simple photo uploader

chzuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot beleive it has been this difficult. All I want to do is upload selected photos from my PC to my iPad 4. I do not want to sync them all or send them to icloud, just upload certain ones. I can connect my Canon Sure Shot via the iPad 4 cord and select photos that I want. However iPad 4 will not recognize my Canon EOS Rebel. There has got to be something out there!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several apps that can do this. The one I used to use is PhotoSync by touchbyte. There should be a computer companion app that makes it easier to use (found on their support site), but it can work using a web browser as well.

In the browser method the app gives you a URL to type into your computer's URL/search field. It then connects to the iPad as if it were a website, with the usual upload/download options. The app is nicer, but must be running on both the computer and device. For good performance you need to be on the same network. There is/was a bluetooth option, but that tends to be slow and unreliable.

There are some other apps, a few recommended here. They all work about the same way.

If you just upgraded to iOS 9, be sure to check the comments first, to be sure the app is still working properly, or has been upgraded for iOS 9.

OP
C

chzuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally after much searching and trying I found something that works. I formatted an SD card in a Canon Sure Shot, put the card in a card reader connected to a powered USB hub, then connected via the 3 in 1 card reader. Now I can upload just the photos I want. For uploading just a couple of photos I use email.
Apple: Not everyone wants to sync all photos to all devices and to your iCloud.

OP
C

chzuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything with sync in it I am wary of. I want to be selective in what I upload. I will take a look because it would probably be much simpler than all the stuff I had to connect.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Anything with sync in it I am wary of. I want to be selective in what I upload. I will take a look because it would probably be much simpler than all the stuff I had to connect.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I've struggled w/ iTunes and photo transfer from my computers and/or cameras since early 2011, so let me provide a few potential solutions although others likely exit. First, I really dislike using iTunes for 'photo transfer' and have stopped employing the app years ago for that purpose - but if you look at the first image below, one choice is to make one or several folders (the ones checked) and store the images you want to transfer to the iPad in those folders, so that only those pics will sync - there are issues w/ that method as you 'remove' images from your iPad and/or your computer's folders, thus not my choice any more.

Second, Apple's cloud and photo stream services have really developed in recent years, especially if you want to share your images across devices and w/ others - not a priority for me, so not a user, but an area to explore if the concept is of interest.

Next, there are a variety of photo transfer apps that can easily accomplish your goals using wireless technology - no cables and no clumsy dock photo connectors (had one for my old iPad 2, now sold, but did not buy a new one when I purchased an iPad Air 2 - do all wirelessly) - see the next 3 attached images - all of these apps are either on my device, computer, or both - google each to see if one or more may solve your photo issues. I also use Apple's AirDrop a lot to get images and other files between my MBPro and my iPad.

Finally, concerning transfer of images from your cameras, I would forget about using a cabled attachment - my choice is to simply remove the SD card from my camera(s) and using either the built-in card reader or a USB card reader, transfer selected images from the storage card to my computer. There are a number of wireless devices that are inexpensive which use the SD cards and by establishing a personal Wi-Fi network (and using an appropriate app on your iDevice) transfer photos - the two that I own are shown below (the second one is more versatile as the description states). Dave :)

P.S. SD cards can be used in cameras that have built-in Wi-Fi (called Eye-Fi); in addition, I just purchased a new Lumix Panasonic DC w/ Wi-Fi and can easily transfer images from my camera's SD card (without removing it) to my iPad using an app from Panasonic - works like a charm.

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 11.46.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 1.07.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 1.08.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 1.08.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.11.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 1.09.22 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two years? I don't have enough storage space to remember two years back. I'd add some, but evidently my brain was designed by Apple. There is no SD slot. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two years? I don't have enough storage space to remember two years back. I'd add some, but evidently my brain was designed by Apple. There is no SD slot. :)

LOL! :) Well, just a 'rough' guess - could be closer to one year, but in retirement, time seems to be flying; BUT, I must say that there have certainly been a LOT of newer options since those early iPad 2 days and the clunky CCK - Dave

P.S. BTW, for anyone interested, I still have the old 30-pin CCK (both adapters) and would be glad to mail it to anyone in the USA - just send me a PM.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought the camera connection kit when I bought my first iPad, the iPad 2 in 2011. I still occasionally use it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought the camera connection kit when I bought my first iPad, the iPad 2 in 2011. I still occasionally use it.

Well, the old CCK did work 'on the road' w/ the camera's SD cards - the built-in Wi-Fi on my new Panasonic Lumix DC works well w/ the iPad & the Panasonic app, but I still need to remove the SD card for insertion into my MBPro computer - Panasonic has no app for OS X (I was even on a chat w/ them a few weeks ago complaining about the absence of such an app, of course, to no avail!). Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've still have half my 30 pin CCK, the USB part. No idea what happened to the SD card reader. It works, sometimes, when paired with my lightning to 30 adaptor. And sometimes not.

The USB adaptor part is still pretty useful. I was lucky to find a multi-card reader that has low enough power consumption that the iPad recognizes it. So with an extremely awkward arraignment of a Lightning to 30 pin > 30 pin to USB > Card Reader, I can still import most card formats to the iPad and iPhone: CF, SD, MS, XD, and Micro-SD.

Most reactions

Latest posts