Looking for a Keyboard app for the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by artman, Nov 13, 2011.

1. artman

artman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad 2 running iOS 5.01. I think the keyboard is very awkward to use as you have to press the .?123 key to get to the numbers and simple characters such as slash, semi-colon, etc. I have tried to look in the Apple Store for keyboard apps and I have not found any that look to be good.

Can someone give me a recommendation for a good keyboard app for the iPad 2?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    There are a few, but they are very limited. You can not replace the system keyboard, so any keyboard app you get will be limited to use in that app. That being so, I've not bothered to even try any of them.

I believe there are keyboard tweaks available if you jailbreak. Go over to the Hacking area and read the sticky notes (at the top) for more info on jailbreaking if you are interested.

3. artman

artman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks very much for your good information. I will just leave it the way it is and use the stock keyboard.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    No problem.

5. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Have a look at Cymbol, Uniconsole and Unicode map. These provide subscript and superscript as I teach science.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

#5 Hayles66, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. Spiritfree

Spiritfree
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm two days into use of my new iPad 2, so am on the learning curve, especially as I've never had an Apple before.
    I quite like the basic ability of the keyboard, meaning that it's sensitivity to my 'keystrokes' is excellent. I'm finding that typing with it is much easier than I expected.
    BUT. The keyboard could be very well-arranged if they had tried. The spacebars is very long, unnecessarily so. Ditto the 123/ABC toggle at the left. There could very easily have been some clear and adaptive thinking which would have given us all an inverted T set of cursor keys. There IS enough space for this. And then those of us who aren't 100% accurate touch-typists, in other words everyone, would have an easy time of things. Instead there is this fiddly magnifying glass thing. I'm getting better at using that, but it involves a kind of thinking which interrupts the natural flow of putting characters in a line. What we need is something which enables us to move along that line easily. Guess what, they've already been invented! Cursor keys! Where the f$&k are they? Doh!

7. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a type of shortcut for the annoying habit of having to go back and forth from ABC and 123. While typing if you just need to input a number or other symbol tap the 123 tab but keep your finger on it and slide your finger to the number or symbol that you want, when you lift your finger it will take you back to the ABC keyboard automatically. I find it a great little shortcut!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know that leelai, thanks!

9. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Woo, I didn't know that, I love learning new stuff, thanks Leelai!

The Archangel

10. Waterbabies

Waterbabies
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh that's a great tip! Just used it there!
    Thanks