What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a Hard Shell Sleeve for iPad 3

Comyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've spend the last couple days looking through the established threads here and still can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Thought maybe someone knew of the right product.

My boss recently bought my an iPad 3 (let the jealousy ensue!) and I'd like to find a sleeve for it. After MUCH consideration I've finally decided that I'd like to carry it around in my EDC bag (a RUSH MOAB 6) using some sort of hard sleeve to protect the glass from the other objects in the bag. Once I get it to work, I'll be plopping it onto a stand (haven't decided what that'll look like; needing something with a small footprint).

I've looked at the smart covers, but am unsure of how well they could protect the glass from a dense object (say, 2lbs) bearing down at a single point. If the smart covers by Apple protect it well enough, how do some of the more popular clones hold up?

The items I've found so far are outside the range of what I'd be comfortable spending as far as just protecting the glass. My first discovery was Saddleback's Large Gadget Sleeve , which I liked for it's simplicty, but it's brushing right up against the 10.5" height limit for my bag's main compartment. Still, the open ended top and durability seemed like what I was wanting.

Then there's the Blackbox Bamboo Case, which I like for it's simplicty and the fact that it's a no-nonsense hardwood shell, but the price is the main detractor.

Lastly, an item I found while here probably comes closest to what I'm looking for but still hasn't quite stroked my heart strings. It's the Targus Z-Case and it seems to be right in the range for price, durability, and simplicity. The only thing I don't like is the flip open side. I'd like to have something that'll allow my to reach right into my bag and slide the iPad out of it's sleeve. This is where I like the Saddleback's Gadget case the best.

Anyone know of any other items floating out there?

OP
C

Comyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's interesting, and there are tons of great stands out there. But I'm really only looking for a hard sleeve.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check out the Dodo case, it comes in three different styles and is hand crafted. I think the price is reasonable for the price and workmanship.
You may also get them personalized.

☮ ♥ 

tht3030

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out Wardmaster. Technically soft but over the top cushioned and protection. Plus very cool. 30 bucks amazon.

OP
C

Comyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figured I'd update with what I found:

I decided to cha he up my bag a bit after looking over reviews and trying some stuff out first-hand. Went with the Everest Sporty Hydration Sling instead of the MOAB 6. The MOAB was much smaller than I expected and looked too boxy. After browsing eBay I settled on the Everest bag for it's mid-range size, the fact that it still has MOLLE webbing on it without looking overly tactical, and the form was much more casual in look and feel.

For a sleeve, I went with something I found plenty of on eBay. A Verizon branded pleather/nylon sleeve for $5. It has a microfiber lining, small accessory pouch on the front (presumably for a 30-pin to USB cable), and a magnetic flap closure.

All in all, I spent much less than I expected to, and I've been very pleased with the quality of products I've received.

Most reactions

Latest posts