What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longer cables not able to charge iPad 3

baxterda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Longer charging cables do not work with the iPad 3. I have an iPad 2 and i can use any length charging cable, the iPad 3 will only charge with the standard length cable. Anybody else have this problem? Why would cable length matter, does apple check for cable length?

David

DLCrouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Belkin 8' foot or so cable I bought last year. Works great with iPhone, IPad 2 and new iPad.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cable length shouldnt make any difference to charging,might be something that needs checking out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Longer charging cables do not work with the iPad 3. I have an iPad 2 and i can use any length charging cable, the iPad 3 will only charge with the standard length cable. Anybody else have this problem? Why would cable length matter, does apple check for cable length?

David

Why would you make statements that aren't true? Have you actually tried all longer cables? Perhaps some longer cables don't work and some do. The ones I have charge my new iPad fully, which no issues.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UHDUNI/ref=wms_ohs_product

Cable length would matter slightly as the longer cable does add additional resistance which represents power loss, but I doubt it is that much. The problem is more likely in the connectors on either end or the connections made along the length. A cheap cable will have poor connections and poor electrical connections would certainly result in charging problems. Or any poorly made connection anywhere along the length of the charging cable. Cheap is cheap. But it is certainly possible to buy longer cables that are both inexpensive and will charge an iPad 3.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I picked up a 10ft charging chord at Verizon on a deal one day when I purchased my iPhone - it works with my iPhone, iPad1 and the new iPad perfectly.

NHAero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have just bought two of the cables referred to below (had to delete URL, new forumite) for my new iPad and neither will charge the iPad. So it might be possible that the amperage needed makes some of these cables borderline performers.

Why would you make statements that aren't true? Have you actually tried all longer cables? Perhaps some longer cables don't work and some do. The ones I have charge my new iPad fully, which no issues.

I use these:

Cable length would matter slightly as the longer cable does add additional resistance which represents power loss, but I doubt it is that much. The problem is more likely in the connectors on either end or the connections made along the length. A cheap cable will have poor connections and poor electrical connections would certainly result in charging problems. Or any poorly made connection anywhere along the length of the charging cable. Cheap is cheap. But it is certainly possible to buy longer cables that are both inexpensive and will charge an iPad 3.

MayaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple sells the "Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter" which comes with a six foot cord.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a USB extension cable, and have it attached to the standard length cable that comes with my new iPad. Seems to work fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts