Long Island - Montauk, Hamptons, & North Fork

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Sep 22, 2013.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Eastern Long Island (east of Riverhead where the two forks start) is a special place to visit and live - we've been there dozens of times since the early 1970s but never in a major storm - I've seen the ocean and sound w/ some wild waves in standard storms - but could get scary up on that hill w/ blizzard winds or if perchance a hurricane or tropical storm hit.

Those Hampton communities were first settled in the mid-1600s (w/ many crossing LI Sound from Connecticut & Rhode Island) and are still striving - in fact, Montauk is one of the newer towns and did not see major development until the 1920s when Carl Fisher wanted to turn the area into the 'Miami Beach of the North' (Source); well, the stock market crash of 1929, the Great Depression of the '30s, and hurricane of 1938 really delayed that dream. Dave :)

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Today, I viewed several more beautiful Montauk pics photographed by a local artist who does hand crafts (knitted hats in particular) but is obviously a superb photographer. The first 3 images below were taken by her w/ the third one showing the Andy Warhol Complex near one of the Montauk beaches; a description of the 'Compound' HERE w/ a number of additional images from the link, including an aerial view; also, appears that Andy had many guests to his Montauk get-away, including the Rolling Stones in the mid-70s.

Andy Warhol was a famous American 'pop' artist who died at 48 years from 'complications' following gallbladder surgery. Pics below end w/ several of his iconic art works, i.e. Marilyn Monroe & Campbell's Soup Cans - for those interested follow the links; over the decades, Susan & I have seen numerous works by him throughout the country - should have bought 'something' back then. Dave :)

Montauk1A.jpgMontauk1B.jpgMontauk1C.jpgMontauk2_Warhol1.jpgMontauk2_Warhol2.jpegMontauk2_Warhol3.jpegMontauk2_Warhol4.jpegMontauk2_Warhol5.jpgMontauk2_Warhol6.jpgMontauk2_Warhol7.jpg