What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos in mail

Wayne Bruton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have tried to attach some logos in the signature of my mail. It looks fine in setup, looks fine when I compose a new email but the logo is not getting sent with my email?
Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can correct this error?
Kind regards
Wayne

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What method are you using to add/setup logos in Mail?

I ask because you can't add pictures (or much of anything) to Mail's signatures directly. It takes some workarounds, involving creating HTML signature(by some method), then copy/pasting it (the result) into Mail's settings.

OP
Wayne Bruton

Wayne Bruton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
What method are you using to add/setup logos in Mail?

I ask because you can't add pictures (or much of anything) to Mail's signatures directly. It takes some workarounds, involving creating HTML signature(by some method), then copy/pasting it (the result) into Mail's settings.

Than,s for that. I just copied pictures/logo from my own email. Is there a quick fix? Wayne

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only HTML and some very limited RTF formatting (B,I,U) will work in the signatures file. If your logo is an image file, not an HTML link to an image file, it won't work. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it will work even as an HTML link. I've done some very basic experiments with HTML signatures, but have not tried to include an image.

I should give it a try, just to see what happens.

OP
Wayne Bruton

Wayne Bruton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Only HTML and some very limited RTF formatting (B,I,U) will work in the signatures file. If your logo is an image file, not an HTML link to an image file, it won't work. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure it will work even as an HTML link. I've done some very basic experiments with HTML signatures, but have not tried to include an image.

I should give it a try, just to see what happens.

Thank you for your response. It's a pity, I will try an HTML link as you suggested.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem, of course, is that the logo needs to be hosted somewhere on the internet; which is what is stopping me from giving it a quick test. I need to do the prep work first.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Managed to get an image in a signature, but it was a pain, and the text doesn't always turn out the way I want.

I hosted the image in my public DropBox folder. Getting a direct link (instead of a share link) was a pain, but once I did the image worked. I'm now looking for an easier solution. One that does not require knowing and creating your own HTML code.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, it's not ideal, but this is what I came up with.

You can create a signature more or less WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) using the Blog Docs - HTML app. I tested both the free version and the paid (since it was on sale for $2.99). The results were about the same. In the free version I created the signature and then copy/pasted it to settings directly. In the paid version I emailed the results to myself and then copy/pasted from Mail.

In both cases the document has to be saved to your Google account first, as HTML with the image imbedded. Otherwise there is nothing to link to in the email.

The app is full of little UI problems and the controls aren't easily discovered; but it is far easier than coding HTML line by line. And it didn't crash on me. That's a bonus. :)

The results:

Well, the only font characteristic that survived was bold. However the picture worked, and I was even able to place it to the left of the text for a nice professional looking signature. I'll post the before and after pictures in a moment, after I switch to the iPad and edit my answer.

OK, here are the before and after screenshots

image-2043694890.jpg

image-3023848909.jpg

And that pretty much satisfies my curiosity on the subject, so unless there are questions I'll move on to other amusements. ;)

Last edited:
OP
Wayne Bruton

Wayne Bruton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I will give it a bash. Much appreciated. Wayne

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't move on yet...please! I am sure I am being dumb but how do I save this to my google account? I copy and pasted the HTML from the app into the mail settings but the picture does not show up in the signature...just a blue square with a ? mark.

I exported it to both Google drive and Dropbox but when I paste into mail settings I get a whole page of HTML code when i compose an email. Where am I going wrong??

Now I have really messed up! I cannot get rid of all the HTML as the signature in all my mail accounts! I have a deleted gmail account and reinstalled, done a hard reset, made sure the signature in settings has been removed but that part of settings is no longer working properly, removed HTML file for google drive and Dropbox! What can I do?? In fact I cannot remove the signature from settings. When I click on signature, it just freezes.

Last edited:

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got advice from another forum and reset all settings. Hope this might help anyone else with a similar problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let's take it in reverse order.

To delete the the signature from settings, tap and hold in the box until you get the popup menu, choose Select All, and then Cut.

My description of how to get the picture may not have been perfect. I actually did two slightly different things. When I cut and pasted, I had inserted the picture using a link to my Public DropBox folder. This can't be a share link, with the random string at the end. It has to end in the file name. The only way to get that, that I know of, is to go to the website, navigate to the picture, open it full screen, then use the wrench icon at the bottom right and select view original. Copy the URL from the URL field. It should start with dl.dropbox.com… and end with the file's name and extension, file.jpg. It took me several tries to get this URL, and I may have misremembered the exact steps, so you may have to experiment a bit.

The other method I used was to email the signature to myself. Before you can do this it makes you set up your Google Drive account. At least it did for me. Took me a while to figure it out how. You have to tap the share icon (arrow/box) and choose Google Docs, Settings, and set up your Google account. I'm not sure why this was necessary, and maybe it wasn't, but I ended up doing it before I got the Email option to work.

This time I used a picture from my Photos library.

Then I selected the EMail option from the share icon. I inserted it using the Image tool from the same column as the share icon. Make sure you are sending it as HTML with the Images Embedded. It's also a good idea to do your cropping and and resizing first. I'm not sure what the result would be if you used a full 5MP image for a sig. Maybe nothing, or possibly your signature file would end up containing the full sized picture (only displayed smaller). That's a lot of over head for a signature file.

When the signature arrives in Mail, it looks pretty much the same as it did when you created it. Tap and hold or the popup menu, and Select All, Copy. go to the settings, tap-hold in the desired box for the popup menu (Select all if something is already there), then Paste. Some of your signature may change. Color, font, size will all be stripped. Only the basic underline, italics, and bold seem to work. Text with links to sites or email should also be preserved.

Good luck.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Got advice from another forum and reset all settings. Hope this might help anyone else with a similar problem.

Yes, if all else fails, that's a good choice. It means you have to go back and tweak most you settings again, if you want them the way they were, but far less trouble than having to do a restore.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I may try it again sometime but the whole experience was very traumatic when I could no longer send emails or remove the signature! The HTML definitely upset my mail settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts