What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logmein

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any remote desktop / vnc apps that i can use WITHOUT an external ip address?

If i wanted to buy and external address, how much is it usually?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to trouble you, but could you say a little more about what you're trying to do here? I'm sure there are many Forum members who will be able to come up with some suggestions - in fact, you'll probably receive too many!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Sorry to trouble you, but could you say a little more about what you're trying to do here? I'm sure there are many Forum members who will be able to come up with some suggestions - in fact, you'll probably receive too many!!

Tim
Scotland

For example, in the splashtops apps website, it says that you can access your computer within your home network. But If you are outside your home network then you will need an external ip address.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out a site like whatsmyip.com

The Address often referred to as internal would be your network equipments ip address. External IP would be the ip address if the Internet connection coming into your home.

Guys feel free to correct me or provide a better answer.

PS - If you ever need the IP of your iPad, simply go to settings, then wifi, then touch your network to bring up the display of information.

EgoProwler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A WAN address is sometimes referred to as the public, or outside, address and the LAN as the private, or inside address.

The WAN IP they refer to is the address provided by your ISP (i.e. Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, etc.). If you're directly connected to your modem, it is likely providing NAT (Network Address Translation) to connected clients and assigning them a private LAN (Local Area Network) IP in the range of 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x. If you have a wireless router with clients connected to that device both wired and wireless, then it will assign IP's in the ranges I mentioned and provide NAT.

For this discussion, NAT is translating your LAN address, for example, 192.168.10.1 to the WAN address 78.87.169.88. The destination never sees your LAN address, only that to get back to the source (your computer), they need to route to your WAN address. From that point, your modem and/or router does the rest.

Since your thread title mentioned LogMeIn, you don't have to worry about WAN IP's. You run the client on your local computer that is connected to LogMeIn servers -- reporting its availability to their servers when it is powered on. When you try to connect to the your computer from someplace else using a web browser or LogMeIn Ignition, the LogMeIn servers know how to get to the destination, i.e. your computer.

The LogMeIn servers are really just acting as a proxy to route traffic between the client (you remotely reaching your computer) and host (your computer).
W4qIx

ByHisStripes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't tried LogMeIn yet, but Team Viewer is terrific and very easy setup with no ip login issues.

OP
A

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EgoProwler said:
A WAN address is sometimes referred to as the public, or outside, address and the LAN as the private, or inside address.

The WAN IP they refer to is the address provided by your ISP (i.e. Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, etc.). If you're directly connected to your modem, it is likely providing NAT (Network Address Translation) to connected clients and assigning them a private LAN (Local Area Network) IP in the range of 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x. If you have a wireless router with clients connected to that device both wired and wireless, then it will assign IP's in the ranges I mentioned and provide NAT.

For this discussion, NAT is translating your LAN address, for example, 192.168.10.1 to the WAN address 78.87.169.88. The destination never sees your LAN address, only that to get back to the source (your computer), they need to route to your WAN address. From that point, your modem and/or router does the rest.

Since your thread title mentioned LogMeIn, you don't have to worry about WAN IP's. You run the client on your local computer that is connected to LogMeIn servers -- reporting its availability to their servers when it is powered on. When you try to connect to the your computer from someplace else using a web browser or LogMeIn Ignition, the LogMeIn servers know how to get to the destination, i.e. your computer.

The LogMeIn servers are really just acting as a proxy to route traffic between the client (you remotely reaching your computer) and host (your computer).

Thanks so much

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

W4qIx

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to provide such a comprehensive reply to the poster's query. It's much appreciated.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts