What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked IPad

savagenoob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I am in a bit of a dilemna. I bought an Ipad 2 off a guy from craigslist. When I got home and started going through the setup process on the ipad, it says a message that the ipad has been lost and associated with a ************@aol.com itunes account and wont let me put in my own account info to activate. Is there a way around this?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums. We hope you enjoy your stay with us. Please also take the time to peruse the forum rules here and abide by them as you post in the forums.

There are no open methods of bypassing the iCloud activation screen. The only method that is encouraged openly is that you contact the seller to input the credentials back on the device. Prior to purchasing the device, you always do a little research on the device itself and any details that you should check for when purchasing the device (which holds true to all electronic devices, not just iPads). Apple also does not help with the activation of the device. Unless you have the correct credentials entered, the device will be in a locked state, and is essentially an expensive paperweight

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to post this in a new thread so I'll put it here and hope somebody sees it and can help me.

I'm so frustrated! I purchased an iPad in 2012, cracked the screen in 2014 and purchased a new iPad at that time because I was having other issues with the original iPad. I decided to give the old one to my mother when she said she would replace the screen so I cleared it and set it up for her. Unfortunately she couldn't get wifi at that time so she hasn't worked with it since then. I got it out , intending to go over things with her and the screen code wouldn't work. I followed advice here to restore the iPad using iTunes but now I've got another problem. When trying to activate the iPad with my mother's Apple ID, it says "(her [email protected]) cannot be used to unlock this iPad". I've talked to support on the phone and they're telling me I need the original receipt to be able to unlock it at the Apple Store. We've gone through all our receipts and can't find the receipt and getting an appointment at the Apple Store within the next two days is impossible. Is there anything I can do or is this iPad now just a waste of money?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The device belonged to you: you can remove it from your iCloud account.

Go to www.icloud.com, and log in with your iCloud ID. Click "All Devices", select the iPad, and then choose "Erase". Enter your password, do not enter a phone number or message. If the iPad is online, it will start erasing, and when it has finished the procedure, it will be possible to use it again, because it's not connected to your iCloud ID any more.

If that's not possible: there's no way around iCloud Activation lock. No one else but Apple can help you in that case.

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, J.A.!
Unfortunately I only see one device (my current iPad) when I log into iCloud and I don't see "All Devices" anywhere.

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing happens.

We found the receipt tonight so I'll take it into the Apple Store soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts