What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonnymacmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get my new ipad 3 with wifi only to set my location .I've done all the asked but still can,t get it to recognise my location.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jonnymacmac said:
How do I get my new ipad 3 with wifi only to set my location .I've done all the asked but still can,t get it to recognise my location.

A WiFi only iPad uses triangulation from nearby WiFi signals to arrive at a position. If there are not enough WiFi signals in the area, your iPad won't be able to fix your location.

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine worked for several months. Now it will not. I did not move.

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A WiFi only iPad uses triangulation from nearby WiFi signals to arrive at a position. If there are not enough WiFi signals in the area, your iPad won't be able to fix your location.

This is probably my problem as I live in a very remote area and mine is THE only WiFi. Just don"t understand why it worked for months and then just quit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have friends with wi-fi + cellular iPads or iPhone, invite them over and have them use your network for a bit. This should (eventually) add your wi-fi network to Apple's database. It's the main way Apple gathers and keeps it's location database up to date.

Having them sign-in/use the network is probably not necessary, but it might help.

No idea why it worked earlier.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Will a Samsung phone work?

No. Apple collects anonymous location data (not tied to the device or person that sees it) from it's own devices. This is the primary method used to create the wi-fi information in their location database.

There is no way for them to collect the data from an Android or other manufacturer's devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your Samsung Galaxy S4 has a GPS. Your wi-fi only iPad does not.

Most phone use AGPS. This works better when you have cell service or wi-fi, but it will still work without. Just a bit slower and slightly less accurate (depending on number of satellites visible).

Last edited:

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most phone use AGPS. This works better when you have cell service or wi-fi, but it will still work without. Just a bit slower and slightly less accurate (depending on number to satellites visible).
Even an iPhone would work... But not a wifi only iPad.

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most phone use AGPS. This works better when you have cell service or wi-fi, but it will still work without. Just a bit slower and slightly less accurate (depending on number of satellites visible).
Thank you

Most reactions