What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location with WIFI only

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read quite a few different places that location would work (at least a little) off wifi. I cannot get my wifi only to get a position at all. I find it very frustrating to not even be able to manually tell it were I am. There are many apps that need location services to work. Am I just missing something, can anyone help? Before someone says tether your iPhone, I don't have one. I have a droid, I really wanted an iPad (and still do) I am just hoping I'm suffering from a learning curve. This is my first Mac device I am sorry to say so forgive my ignorance if that is my problem.

Thanks everyone

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read quite a few different places that location would work (at least a little) off wifi. I cannot get my wifi only to get a position at all. I find it very frustrating to not even be able to manually tell it were I am. There are many apps that need location services to work. Am I just missing something, can anyone help? Before someone says tether your iPhone, I don't have one. I have a droid, I really wanted an iPad (and still do) I am just hoping I'm suffering from a learning curve. This is my first Mac device I am sorry to say so forgive my ignorance if that is my problem.

Thanks everyone

Welcome to the Forum.

As you know, only the 3G iPad has GPS because the functionality for this is physically on the same chip in the iPad as 3G. However, as you rightly point out, it is possible for the iPad to retrieve some positional information from WiFi. However, it can only do that, of course (a) if WiFi is available and (b) if the location of the WiFi equipment is known.

So, in an urban area, where there are many WiFi hotspots, this will probably work OK because the location of these hotspots will be available to the iPad if the iPad is logged in to one of them and, because it's a commercial hotspot, its location resides in a central database.

This, however, would not be the case with your domestic WiFi - that WiFi has no way of knowing its location and probably that location has never been registered centrally.

There are now a number of external GPS modules that you can purchase that fit into the docking connector on the iPad that can provide GPS locations to non-GPS iPads. I mention this because, even if you were to use your iPad with location-based services successfully in an urban area, this would clearly not be successful in a rural area where there's not WiFi available.

If you'd like more information on these add-on units, I'd be happy to send you some links.

Tim
Scotland

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Welcome to the Forum.

As you know, only the 3G iPad has GPS because the functionality for this is physically on the same chip in the iPad as 3G. However, as you rightly point out, it is possible for the iPad to retrieve some positional information from WiFi. However, it can only do that, of course (a) if WiFi is available and (b) if the location of the WiFi equipment is known.

So, in an urban area, where there are many WiFi hotspots, this will probably work OK because the location of these hotspots will be available to the iPad if the iPad is logged in to one of them and, because it's a commercial hotspot, its location resides in a central database.

This, however, would not be the case with your domestic WiFi - that WiFi has no way of knowing its location and probably that location has never been registered centrally.

There are now a number of external GPS modules that you can purchase that fit into the docking connector on the iPad that can provide GPS locations to non-GPS iPads. I mention this because, even if you were to use your iPad with location-based services successfully in an urban area, this would clearly not be successful in a rural area where there's not WiFi available.

If you'd like more information on these add-on units, I'd be happy to send you some links.

Tim
Scotland

I'd like the links :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your wish is my command....:)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Receiver-iPhone-66-channel/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2/]Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS Receiver for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (66-channel, SBAS/WAAS, 10Hz): Electronics[/ame]

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim I will check them out. I have a couple more question...
Can I some how "tell" the pad were I am via maps or some other app?
Can I register my router somehow to make it "show" ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim I will check them out. I have a couple more question...
Can I some how "tell" the pad were I am via maps or some other app?
Can I register my router somehow to make it "show" ?

The easiest way is to register your router. You can do it here....

Skyhook: How It Works > Submit Wi-Fi AP

Don't hesitate to get back to us if there are any problems....

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Done, router registered. Thanks again
Now I just need to wait for it to enter the system.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several other Forum members have been asking about this, so I'd be very interested in your experience. Does it work in this domestic setting? How accurately does it locate your iPad? How long does it take for your settings to enter the system!

Your are the pathfinder!!

Tim
Scotland

OP
F

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will keep you updated.

OP
F

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what I got after registering (I will let you know if and when it starts working):

Thank you for submitting a Wireless Access Point to Skyhook Wireless. The following information has been received and will be processed shortly:

(I removed this part)

It can take up to a few weeks before you see your Access Point in some of our production systems. In the mean time you can download Loki to start using Skyhook's Wi-Fi Positioning System on your laptop or desktop. Go to http://loki.com/download to start using Loki today.

Happy Mapping!

The Skyhook Team

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - it will be interesting to see how long it actually takes...

I'm about to try it with mine too..but I live in a third-world country that only gets to see the iPad2 next week... :)

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland - still sunny - amazing...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Thanks - it will be interesting to see how long it actually takes...

I'm about to try it with mine too..but I live in a third-world country that only gets to see the iPad2 next week... :)

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland - still sunny - amazing...

Not entirely third world.......you won a rugby match today and even managed to score a couple of tries.......ahem! I'll get my coat!

The Archangel

OP
F

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update
My location at home is now working so I believe the my router is now registered. Not bad accuracy for only one point triangulation, with in 100 feet. So that is just barley nine day to show up in system.

OP
F

FSD333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FSD333 said:
Update
My location at home is now working so I believe the my router is now registered. Not bad accuracy for only one point triangulation, with in 100 feet. So that is just barley nine day to show up in system.

I know one point triangulation is an oxymoron, but I think you get my point. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts