Location Service

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by moparherb, May 10, 2015.

1. moparherb

moparherb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i have a 4 month old iPad Air 2 using IOS 8.3. About a month ago intermittently my apps ( mostly weather apps) will say location unavailable. At first I blamed the apps but they all work fine on my iPhone 5S. This is an intermittent issue that seems to be getting worse. Of course during these times the mapping programs cannot find me either. I don't use the mapping apps much do it is not a huge issue with them. But I use the weather apps all the time. I have rebooted the iPad multiple times. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Is it a wifi only or wifi/cellular model?

3. moparherb

moparherb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your interest....my iPad Air 2 is wi-fi only. Today it is not working (location service) at all. The little location service icon is on in the upper menu bar.

4. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    As the wifi only iPads do not have a GPS chip in them, they rely on getting a location via the wifi connection. I believe this is based on the servers knowing where the particular router you are connected to is located. Obviously if there is no wifi connection, there would be zero chance of knowing your location. They may also be able to ping nearby wifi hotspots and routers to help triangulate a rough position, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Your iPhone, on the other hand, has a GPS Chip, so can get a location based on satellite positioning, additionally, it can also triangulate a position using nearby cell towers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Quote from macrumours.com "Like the previous-generation iPad Air, the iPad Air 2 contains a motion coprocessor with a gyroscope, accelerometer, GPS, and compass functionality. The new version also includes a barometer, to measure altitude based on air pressure.".

But the above does not say which version of the iPad Air 2wifi or wifi/cellular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. moparherb

moparherb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well after a heated and non productive discussion with my internet provider (DSL) I rebooted the router/modem and stepped outside to cool down. Low and behold after a few minuets it recognized my location again, mapping and weather. So outdoors it worked. I came back into the house set the iPad next to the router/modem and it does not recognize where I am. It's a strange deal but it looks like it is dependent on my location within my house or outdoors. I just don't understand this wi-fi stuff enough.

7. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Just confirmed there is no GPS chip in the IPad Air 2 wifi only:
    [​IMG]

The GPS chip is linked with the 3G/LTE radio as it has been in previous models.

8. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Just spitballing here, but possibly when you go outside, you're picking up other wifi routers within range that are already known to location servers.

9. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
  10. cfurlin

cfurlin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    OK, I think it is iOS only.

Both of my MacBooks, both of my iPads, and my iPhone are all on the same WiFi network.

iPhone works fine. If I turn off cellular, then location services doesn't work. No surprise there.

Location services does not work on either iPad. Both are WiFi models only.

However, location services is working fine on the MacBooks. I don't think they have GPS chips in them so apparently it's not WiFi but iOS, or some combination with WiFi.