What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location service not working on hotspot, help?

donssrt8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my iphone jail broken and I am using MyWi to create a personal hotspot and when I use an app that uses location service it can't find me. But the location services on the same apps through my wifi at home work. Can anyone help?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Wi-Fi only location service relies on identifying MAC addresses of nearby hotspots, and comparing those against a database of where those routers are located. When you tether via wifi this is meaningless as the "router" (your phone) does not have a fixed location in the database. It can't get smart and use your phones GPS through MyWi unfortunately.

Last edited:

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read somewhere that gps signal was passed from the iPhone to iPad when connected using USB. Can someone confirm this? Also what carrier are you on?

deftdrummer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I just went and did some reading and gps information is indeed passed along to wifi only iPad and iPad 2 when using wireless hotspot.

There is video all over the web too.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
deftdrummer said:
Yeah I just went and did some reading and gps information is indeed passed along to wifi only iPad and iPad 2 when using wireless hotspot.

There is video all over the web too.

So just a MyWi restriction then?

OP
D

donssrt8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up searching the web and many people were saying to reset my network to fix this, so I turned on my hotpot on my phone and the ipad auto joined then I went in the ipad and told it to forget the network then went back in and had it search for the wifi again and rejoined and now the location service works and even tested it by driving around and the ipad followed.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
donssrt8 said:
I ended up searching the web and many people were saying to reset my network to fix this, so I turned on my hotpot on my phone and the ipad auto joined then I went in the ipad and told it to forget the network then went back in and had it search for the wifi again and rejoined and now the location service works and even tested it by driving around and the ipad followed.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Most reactions

Latest posts