Location location location

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Badlands, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Surely not. If it was the modem then, yes, you may have to change some settings, although with Virgin Media such is not the case. But changing a router is much simpler - I know - I did it in less than 2 minutes.

2. Badlands

Badlands
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I changed from a Linksys router to an Apple a few years ago...and yes, I had to call the provider and change several settings. I have installed several routers in my time.....

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    If you're provider owns and provisions your router, it's likely that changes they made are what dropped you off the location database. It would be fairly easy for them to make changes you would not notice, but that would convince Apple's location database that your router is a different, unknown, location.

Ignore the preceding. I hadn't read your last post yet.

I know that Apple used Skyhook as a source to create it's initial location database. I don't know if they continue to use Skyhook as a source of updates. A quick Google search didn't turn up any info one way or the other.

If you have a source that says, one way or the other, I'd really like to see it. Mostly just to satisfy my curiosity. :)

4. Badlands

Badlands
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My provider does not own my router. I think maybe Apple did drop Skyhook....read it somewhere.

5. Badlands

Badlands
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I realized that after I posted, and read your (then) last post, then went back to dim and add an bit about ignoring the previous part. Sorry.

Thank you for the link. I remember this, now that I've read it again. Darn useless thing for a memory to do, don't you think? :)