What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location location location

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried taking your iPad Air for a ride to a built-up area with one or more WiFi signals present? If your locations service still doesn't work even after doing a reset, then it probably is the Air.. In that case, I'd suggest returning it to Apple... '

But if you do get a location showing up with other WiFi signals nearby, then it's most likely that your location has some how 'fallen off' the database...

OP
Badlands

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried taking your iPad Air for a ride to a built-up area with one or more WiFi signals present? If your locations service still doesn't work even after doing a reset, then it probably is the Air.. In that case, I'd suggest returning it to Apple... '

But if you do get a location showing up with other WiFi signals nearby, then it's most likely that your location has some how 'fallen off' the database...

Will try that tomorrow.
Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does work away from home.
That almost certainly means that the lack of location services while on your home WiFi is almost certainly the fault of your router. Is it possible for you to disconnect your router and try a different one?

OP
Badlands

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That almost certainly means that the lack of location services while on your home WiFi is almost certainly the fault of your router. Is it possible for you to disconnect your router and try a different one?

If I try a different router I have to call my provider & change lots of settings.......I will wait a while and see if Skyhook works. Thank you for your help.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I try a different router I have to call my provider & change lots of settings.......I will wait a while and see if Skyhook works. Thank you for your help.

Surely not. If it was the modem then, yes, you may have to change some settings, although with Virgin Media such is not the case. But changing a router is much simpler - I know - I did it in less than 2 minutes.

OP
Badlands

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surely not. If it was the modem then, yes, you may have to change some settings, although with Virgin Media such is not the case. But changing a router is much simpler - I know - I did it in less than 2 minutes.

I changed from a Linksys router to an Apple a few years ago...and yes, I had to call the provider and change several settings. I have installed several routers in my time.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you're provider owns and provisions your router, it's likely that changes they made are what dropped you off the location database. It would be fairly easy for them to make changes you would not notice, but that would convince Apple's location database that your router is a different, unknown, location.

Ignore the preceding. I hadn't read your last post yet.

I know that Apple used Skyhook as a source to create it's initial location database. I don't know if they continue to use Skyhook as a source of updates. A quick Google search didn't turn up any info one way or the other.

If you have a source that says, one way or the other, I'd really like to see it. Mostly just to satisfy my curiosity. :)

OP
Badlands

Badlands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're provider owns and provisions your router, it's likely that changes they made are what dropped you off the location database. It would be fairly easy for them to make changes you would not notice, but that would convince Apple's location database that your router is a different, unknown, location.

Ignore the preceding. I hadn't read your last post yet.

I know that Apple used Skyhook as a source to create it's initial location database. I don't know if they continue to use Skyhook as a source of updates. A quick Google search didn't turn up any info one way or the other.

If you have a source that says, one way or the other, I'd really like to see it. Mostly just to satisfy my curiosity. :)

My provider does not own my router. I think maybe Apple did drop Skyhook....read it somewhere.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts