What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location error on ipad 2.

Meanderpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying to use apps on my iPad sense I got it a couple of weeks ago and some can use current location. When I try to use this feature it places me in Springfield mass. And I am not in springfield yet along mass. I have a wifi only 16gb iPad 2 with no 3G. I'm out of ideas on how I can fix this and get the correct current location. I would love some assistance on this matter.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying to use apps on my iPad sense I got it a couple of weeks ago and some can use current location. When I try to use this feature it places me in Springfield mass. And I am not in springfield yet along mass. I have a wifi only 16gb iPad 2 with no 3G. I'm out of ideas on how I can fix this and get the correct current location. I would love some assistance on this matter.

The WiFi iPad does not have GPS, because the GPS functionality is built into the 3G chipset used in the iPad, and can only determine its location if it's within range of a WiFi basestation that has its location registered in a central database - like most WiFi hotspots. If you're at home, your WiFi probably isn't registered there, so your iPad will be unable to determine its location.

Tim

OP
M

Meanderpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using wifi from my college I would think it has the location set to here because my ip app says it is here and the Internet is from a local company in town.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have Location services turned on in settings, and on for whatever app you are using.

Something tells me have the right time zone under Settings >> General >> Time might be important too, but I'm by no means sure about that.

OP
M

Meanderpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on a different wireless now and am located correctly but when I use the ipmap app Its says I'm located in Lisbon nh but the ipmap on the other wireless and located in unity Maine I'm located on maps app in Springfield mass. I have on the location services for my apps and iPad and the timezone is correct. I'm not sure how or why it is doing this. I have also brought this to the IT department of my school and they don't have any clue why this is happening.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. Are there any other iPad users (without 3G) that you can get to try this? That way you could tell whether it is Apple's database or the iPad at fault.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a known issue. Many users with the same iPad has this same issue. Apple really dropped the ball on this one. I never had this issue with my iPad 1, but I do with my iPad 2. Therefore making the iPad locating app through MobileMe essentially useless. The only we we can get it working is to reset the network settings in settings, general, and reset. Then it will work for about a week then stop working again.

OP
M

Meanderpaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's really not what I wanted to hear but thank you for the information I'm not so worried now that i have a defective iPad.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They believe it is a bug that will be fixed in the next iOS update. Just read about it on redmondpie and it's just a bug supposedly.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

osad4831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes this is a scam! there is no iPhone 4G. it's called the iPhone 4. iPhone 4G means it's running on AT&T's 4G network which has yet to be turned on.

Most reactions

Latest posts